Split daylilies

Beachwood, OH

Will daylilies split the summer after they have been split?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Oompal. Do you mean will they bloom? I have pretty much found that if you can pull them apart without ripping the roots off, the bloom is not affected at all. If you have to cut them apart and lose a lot of root, it seems to set them back a bit. I also find if you keep them well watered for about a week when you first divide them, they hardly stress at all. I bought five pots of them about two weeks ago, pulled them out of the pots, separated them to share and potted them back up, then put them in the ground last weekend. In spite of all that, they are blooming away!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Not sure what you mean by "split"? You divided them last summer and want to divide them again this year? Is that what you mean?

You can divide them as much as you want - right down to single fans for each division. Just make sure each one has a piece of the roots, crown, and leaves. The smaller the division the longer it will take for them to fill out and become large clumps again.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I have found the best way to separate when the plant is not too large is to dig the entire thing up, hose off the roots with water until most dirt is gone then roll on the ground to separate. Has always worked well for me and when I do this in spring as they first come up, all of them bloom as they are right now..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.