I'm A Moose Matador

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

oladyhoo - the dogs and the captions are adorable.

Just this morning I was writing to a DG friend and mentioned the people who wouldn't leave their pets behind during Katrina and Rita. I just can't imagine turning my back on my remaining dog, Harry, and leaving him. How people could do it is way beyond my thinking. All our pets rely on on us for care, water, food, etc. and to close the door and leave would be too heartless for me.

Thumbnail by pirl
Brunswick, GA

We had a mandatory hurricane evacuation about 4 years ago, and you can bet our pets were the first ones in the car.

The big dog is Buddy, 8, and the dominatrix is TC (Tiny and Cute, 10, named by our granddaughter). Buddy defers to her in most situations, including getting out of that chair (which overlooks my computer) when she whines at him, so she can have a turn being photographed sitting in it.

I don’t want to slight Kit Kat, who, at 15, is now retired.

Thumbnail by oladyhoo
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

olady: APPLAUSE!

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

Great pictures and captions.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Hey Weez, a very happy birthday to YOU!!! Yeah, it was really special to reread about the moose and the coon and Barney.

Janett, that frequent flyer dog of yours was a good tale too!! Musta been a real panic worrying if he was being taken care of or just forgotten in a crate! Looks like he took it in stride.

I noticed yesterday that we have a new wallpaper on the pc - apparently DS (16 yr old) is missing Barney too so we now have one of Barney - rather big! It's from about 4 years ago and really shocked me how much he had changed, read aged, in the last few years. I guess u just don't really notice when ur with them day to day. Kinda like in peeps u haven't seen for 10 years. Then u later confide with ur hubby on how old he or she was looking -- and u forget they're saying the same thing when they get home about U! LOL

olady and pirl - nice shots of the furred ones. That squirrel wld be dinner if Oscar was laying on that railing. He keeps a cache in the back corner of the garage (wish he wouldn't!) and we've cleaned out rabbits, squirrels, rats, mice and birds. So totally gross!!! I was furious at him one day -- he got one of the cardinals and we don't see them very often so I was really ticked at him for that. He was a stray also, a very sick, half dead stray but now he's a huge cat and a great hunter. I appreciate having no mice in the house but sure wish he would leave the other critters alone and not bring them home! ick!!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Happy Birthday, Weez!! I hope you have a great day and don't see any moose in your garden! ;-)

Gosh kooger, really sorry about your baby there.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Seward, AK

Everybody in the store who saw Dennis with Weez's Birthday flowers asked: What did you do? So funny, he said a guy can't even buy flowers without being accused of something!!! LOL LOL
Happy Birthday, my friend.
Carol

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks, Carol! Yes, the joys of living in a small town! I should have shown up at the store shortly after him to buy an ice pack... with a big old bruise on one eye! That would have kept the town buzzing!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Weezin, I have to bump you. Your story is not only well told, It's interesting and very humerous! I can't imagine not running for the house. Aint no tree big enough for me.
Everyone has an interesting story!

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks for the bump, billyporter....this is one of my all-time favorite stories!!!
Pati

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It has to win some sort of award don't you think? I just reread it and fell down laughing again.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Gee, guys, thanks for the kind words. I was truly inspired when I wrote this, and fresh from the yard where I'd been doing Bullwinkle battle. I must have been on an Adrenalin rush.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It was worth every word!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks! We had a fair sized moose in our yard about a week ago... a young one, but still huge. He/she was nibbling on some of our alders. Our old doglets woofed a bit, but were glad to be called back indoors for a treat. They know better than to get close to those hooves!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I can't imagine anything bigger than a stray cat in my yard. LOL!

Seward, AK

Weez, sister, Ava had 6 moose in her yard at the same time last week. For everyone else, Ava lives between me and Weez. And that little yearling orphan was by the culvert yesterday and I think his twin is a skeleton by Nash Road this side of the bridge by Brummers. I've been seeing Bald Eagles, Ravens, Magpies and Stellar Jays working the carcass for a month. Our property has a nesting pair of Bald Eagles and all those other scavengers are keeping them vigilant near their tree.
...The Other Carol

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

It's a harsh world for young moose who live close to people. The neighbor dogs pester the calves, and I'm sure a few get shot for the freezer. Ah, well, the eagles and ravens have a feast.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm so glad to see this bumped up yet again. I do believe it is my all time favorite DG thread

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks so much, Floridian. I should probably read the whole thread again myself, since I'll soon be back out in the yard defending all my green babies. I need to remember how ornery a moose can be!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Well, I just found this, and read the whole thing. It is so funny, and had to tell DH a few times what I was laughing about. He has no sense of humor, so to him, it would be a dull read. Me, I love the slapstick whether it be humans or animals.

This deserves a bump.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks

Bonnie, You read my mind. I came back here just to BUMP it up.
People just HAVE to read this, as it's priceless in dozens of ways.
Deanna

Fuquay-Varina, NC(Zone 7a)

I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread (I am slacking at work, afterall), but here's a thought....how about some nice hard rubber bullets for the moose who think of your yard as a salad buffet?

::POW!:: right in the fanny ought to get the point across

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Oh, I'm sure it would! The problem with a moose is which way he will run... off into the woods or up the porch steps to stomp me! Thanks for the bump, everyone! I managed to get through this season without 'The Running of the Bulls', so I feel fortunate!

Seward, AK

I have to say that the rubber bullet works only if you shoot it on the side you want them to start moving to. I used a pellet gun and found the pellet in the hind quarter of a road kill moose donated later that same year. When I shot it the direction she took was right at me, the source of her attack! I had a large dog (Sweetie Pie) who smartened up in that department over the years. At first when I yelled to chase a moose away he would stand right by me and help. Well, after many, many charges and near stompings (He did suffer one stomping, in the yard, deep snow and Sweetie Pie was young. He was slapped down into soft snow and only bruised) he figured out to approach from the opposite side from me and lead the moose away as it charged him. What a dog! Moose definately aren't your typical deer for spooking.
Carol

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

That's what I figured, Carol. I had the same experience when I squirted a moose with the hose. She headed straight at me. Poor Dennis didn't even have time to grab a gun before it all happened. Fortunately, when I stepped sideways behind a tree, the cow just shot past me and kept going. My matedor moose was a bit more feisty. Moose seem to hate dogs. They'll make a point of seeking them out for a good stomping.

Fort McCoy, FL

I lived in New England for over 50 years and never got to see a moose. I love moose! I collected them back home but since I moved to FL I thought it probably wasn't a good idea. Flamingos maybe, but not moose.
Gail

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Well, come up to Alaska and spend a week or two, and you'll see some moose! I can usually tell when they are in the neighborhood, because the dogs are barking all down the road. Most smart dogs steer clear of moose and porcupines.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happy Birthday To You, Happy Birthday To You, Happy Birthday Dear Weezingreens, Happy Birthday To You.

Your moose story is so good it's time for a bump!

Sally

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks, Sally!

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

BUMP...just because it's so funny!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I just read the whole thread and I have had my laughs for the week--maybe the entire month! So funny reading all the great stories and yet sad about those of you having to say good-bye to beloved pets.
Over on one of the weather threads, I asked Kiska, who also lives in Alaska, if moose were dangerous and Dyson, also on the same weather thread, told me to check out this thread--guess I have my answer now! LOL
Thank goodness we don't have moose in Arkansas. However, we do have a population of over a million deer and this past week-end the Game and Fish Commission estimated that there were 500,000 deer hunters in the woods--now that's a scary thought--talk about testosterone--and every one of them is carrying a gun! I know, I know, the deer have to be harvested and shooting is kinder than letting them starve due to overpopulation but I still think of deer as "Bambi".
Anyway, didn't mean to hijack this thread with tales of too many deer. I have had a great start to the week by enloying all these "animal adventures" ROTFLOL!!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Gad you enjoyed it, marsue! Many years ago, my first husband & I spent a year in Wisconsin. When it was deer season, the farmers painted 'cow' in big letters across their Jersey cows to keep greenhorn hunters for shooting them.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

We were coming home from town when we saw a huge red paint spray across the entire lane. In the ditch was a deer with a huge chunk of it's shoulder gone. Luckily it was dead. I'll take a hunter any day.

Pittsburgh, PA

Well, now it's been 5 years and there are lots of new folks who haven't read it yet so:

BUMP!!!

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for bumping this Jill, I never saw it the first time around and it's hilarious.

Doug

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

gosh, time flies. Barney, with the lead foot errr butt, has been over the rainbow bridge for quite a few years already. Sure miss that guy. He was rather unique and most certainly MY dog.

I see Moose Matador and I just grin, picturing Weez facing off with that critter. oh my!!

Pittsburgh, PA

I laughed so hard I cried - and more than once - reading this thread.
Actually got sore laughing muscles through the raccoon story.
Put my glasses back on the next morning and they were filthy with salty tear stains.
:D
I just HAD to revive the thread!
(after I revived myself)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.