hydrangea help

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I bought the generic large flowered hydrangea at home depot sev. years ago. It blooms light pink. Any chance I can get it to bloom a deep, dark pink? thanks for any help!

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Only to say, try changing the PH up and then down. The change may take a season or so to show up. Just a thought.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

kell, did you try this and did it work?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I did and they are still the same color pink. LOL. There is one section that has 4 very dark flowers for 2 years running on 1 bush of lighter pink. I think that is odd.

Here they are as they are opening this year. They were so big when they were fully opened, you couldn't see any green at all this year. . I have a whole row of them.

Thumbnail by Kell

Around here, our soils are very acid and we have all blue blooms, some even purplish. I don't think we can even make our hydrangeas bloom pink.
I did see some that are a bit paler, though, when they are planted against a house where lime leaches out of the mortar in the foundation.
There is some Ironite you can buy that is supposed to turn them blue; a special hydrangea fertilizer. But yours is so beautiful that I can't imagine changing it. What else do you fertilize them with and how often?

I think since this forum has started up and more information has come in, it's extra lime that makes them pinker. kell, can I borrow your picture for an article I'm writing on hydrangeas?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.