Roadside lilies

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

I've heard these things called by a number of different names and they all seem to be the same...orange in color.

We've always called them Railroad lilies because where we live, they grow (plentifully) by the railroad tracks not far from my parent's home.

Question is...how orange are the ones you usually see by the roadside (or wherever they are in your location)?

The ones we have here are more red than orange and just have orange edges. Is this the same thing?

(No, I don't have a picture to post from my parent's house).

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I think so Carla, and mine differ from sun to shade too. They are pretty, but I keep pulling them. that's what we started with years ago, and they have spread all over.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

The ones in our area are just pure orange with no edging of any kind.

Ok, I brought a bunch of these lilies home with me from IL and they are an exact match to some I bought at Home Depot, which were "supposedly" Crimson Pirate.

I'll try to get photos posted.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Is your name with a C or K? Seems like I have seen it both ways in different forums. I could not find a picture online of 'Crimson Pirate' only info about the plant itself. Did you post yours and I missed them? I posted what I have as ditch lilies. I think around here though, they are normally a bright orange self. I got the ones I posted from a good friend in Kentucky. I also have some from a friend in Pennsylvania and they are bright yellow selfs.

Carla with a "C". :)

I think the ones I have are orange. They were next to some others and I think I had them confused.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.