Red Maple Tree Shedding leaves

Bel Air, MD(Zone 6a)

I have a red maple tree, probably l8 yrs old. Last year I was told that it had leaf scorch. It came out beautiful this spring but is shedding leaves. Can anyone tell me what the problem is and has it happened to any of them? We have restricted watering here in Maryland but have had enough rain to make the lawns nice and green. Thanks for any suggestions.

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

Could it be that the water was just enough for the lawn, but never reached the maple roots? Have you tried just hand watering the tree? I have the same problem with several trident maples, they perk-up after a few hand watering sessions.

Bel Air, MD(Zone 6a)

Thanks, I will try that, wish me luck as it is a beautiful tree and I would hate to lose it.

Crossville, TN

Shirley..don't let your DH know of your concern...or he may have it removed...for they say..."revenge is sweet"!! LOL Cousin Jo

Bel Air, MD(Zone 6a)

Not to worry he likes this tree.

Bel Air, MD(Zone 6a)

I have been watering my tree and it looks good now.

Bel Air, MD(Zone 6a)

Go figure, all the neighbors trees are loosing their leaves and my maple is still pretty and green. After I started watering (which I was not supposed to do) the tree has been just fine.

Bel Air, MD(Zone 6a)

Problem again with this maple tree. It is big and beautiful but this year it is losing small leaves which are black.
I checked with Google and they said when a tree has excess foilage they shed excess leaves to control moisture.
They also said that in the case the tree was diseased to rake up the leaves as soon as possible, which keeps me busy

Thumbnail by sgtdot

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.