i'm reposting this here, any suggestions appreciated!

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

dsrtgdn suggested i post this here and that Michele may be able to help.

my bf's mother has just brought me back some seeds from her hols in Arizona and Nevada. can anyone tell me the best ways to germinate them and where to grow them as the instructions are a bit brief.

the first is just a mixture called 'desert gatherings' including: Brittlebrush, Desert Marigold, Mexican Poppy, Chuparosa, Fairy Duster, Owls Clover, Desert Lupine, Prickly Poppy, and Penstemon.

the second is some seeds called 'Indian Paintbrush' (Castilleja sp.)

and the last is 'Desert Globemallow' (Sphaeralcea ambigua).

Thanks!

Thumbnail by Lilith
Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

Yes Ma'am , of coarse, I will be able to help you :)
OK lets see here. That first mixture is quite a mixture. Desert Marigold AKA Baileya plenirdiata require light for germination, no pretreatment necessary . If you view my list
of trades you can view some of these flowers. And the Desert Marigold is on my list. I suggest some fine peat on the surface to help keep it moist. Fairy Duster , I happen to researching this seed right now . It is seeding here in the Mojave at this moment.
Those seeds are a small bean and It is a good idea to chip or soak the seeds to speed up germination. I would do both, any of these hard coated seeds would benefit from a hot water soak. Is is said the Fairy Duster sometimes will sprout the very next morning after a good soak. And you can view more info at :
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Fabaceae/Calliandra_californica.html
Lupine is also a small bean , I would treat it the same way. OK maybe a good suggestion for this first mixture,
Take a jar, and roll up a piece of sand paper, and just shake the seed around in it. That way you will uniformly scarify the different seeds. Then soak it for a few hours.
And then maybe start in a tray , under light , sprinkle over the surface. lightly cover with peat. Your air moisture is much higher than mine, so you wil be the judge of the humidity level to keep it moist. Well drained soil, as for cactus I recommend. But these type seeds could be started in vermiculite in a baggy, or in a try with peat, and potting mix. Then transplanted into a well drained soil.
I would treat the Indian paintbrush and Globemallow the same way. My only other suggestion is to gently transplant , these desert seedlings resent transplantation.
I put a small amount of epsom salts in the transplant hole . Some b-1 for shock may help.
If you could directsow , it might be even better . Full SUN especially where you are. Deep infrequent water.
Let dry between waterings ,once established. The Globemallow is a Perrenial, So is Marigold, but a tender one. The Desert marigold may not bloom until the second year, The fairy Duster is a small woody shrub, Brittlebush: Perrenial small shrub, Penstemon, a perrenial.
Good luck to you. Hope this helped you. Scincerely Michele from Joshua Tree , California.

Lancaster, CA

ALRIGHT Michele. I knew you were the gal to ask. Have fun with your flowers Lilith
Chris

thanks michele! you're quite the expert on these things.. i think i'll try and direct sow some of them. hope they sprout!

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

I really am learning too Lillith :) Thanks let me know how it goes. Some have grown some of my Joshua Trees seeds in the UK, Canada and Brazil and Sweden. It is possible!

i will, hoping for some better weather here to sow them, it's been really foggy, miserable and muggy here. we had bad thunder and lightning storms the other day too, just waiting for the summer to arrive!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.