French Poppies

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

These poppies came from seeds a friend brought back from France. Are these the true Flanders Poppy, or do they have a dark center.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

They are lovely, Weez! They do indeed look a lot like the Poppies we buy from the Vets, eh? The color and texture are so nice it is almost like crepe paper. Beautiful!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hi, Penny. In the seed catalogs, they often refer to Red Poppies, Corn Poppies, and Flanders Poppies. I really get confused. I thought these little red poppies were Flanders, but I could sure use some input. There are about a million different poppies, it seems.

Hello Weezingreens - I know the Flanders poppy as Papaver rhoeas but commercially sold packets named 'Flanders Poppy' may include many variants, natural and cultivated. If yours are single with a dark-ish center and were sent from a French source I would be fairly confident that they are the true poppy of the fields of Flanders.
Papaver rhoeas is European in origin but has now been naturalised in many areas of the USA.

Peter.

This message was edited Saturday, Jun 1st 5:21 AM

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

If you enlarge the photo, you can see that the center of this poppy isn't dark. The little red poppies one often sees in this country are referred to as "Corn Poppies" quite often. Seed catalogs are conflicting in the pictures and descriptions of the Flanders poppy... so, it has a dark center?

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Hi Weez. In this year's T & T Seed catalogue they show the 'Flanders Poppy' as the 'Lady Bird Poppy. That's the way I have always known them.....Linda

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

ewh!la! lah!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hi, broots. I just don't know. I think I am confused because the poppies that the American Legion make don't have the black center... I know that is a stupid reason to have doubts! Guess I just need to make a trip to Europe to straighten this out!... I haven't been more than 150 miles from home in the last 10 years, so I doubt it will happen!

By the way, who is T& T?

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Weez, T & T Seeds is a company in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I buy a few seeds from them, but buy all my liquid seaweed, jiffy 7's, peat pots & trays from them.....Linda

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks, Linda. I really think I need to connect with someone who lives in that neck of the woods to clarify this poppy thing. I just love the annual poppies, so I like to know what I grow.. there are just so many poppies

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.