Lady Bird Poppies

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

These poppies fit the description of Ladybird Poppies (Papaver commutatum). They came from some seed given to me by a friend. Has anyone else grown the Ladybirds?

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

Wez, those are great! Annual, biannual, re-seeder, what? I really like the deep red hue.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hi, Penny. I just checked Outlook and began reading your message while the pic was loading on a thread I started. These are really pretty poppies. The picture was taken at Carol Ead's place (Ceeads), so of course they are blooming profusely.. that gal can sure make plants grow!

These are annual poppies, but they aren't listed as somniferums. Whatever they are, they sure are pretty. I don't know about reseeding, but I would guess they do.

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

i grew these last year so i will probably have them again sooner or later! i loved them, they are so fleeting, but the deep red colour makes up for it! if you want to cut them dip the stems in boiling water before you put them in a vase and they will last a lot longer.

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Hi Wez. I grow the Ladybird almost every year. It is an annual. I have never had it reseed here but that doesn't mean it doesn't. Very nice plant. Brightens up the dull spots.....Linda

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Linda! Nice to meet you! It's nice to find others that live in the cold zones. I wish there was a forum for us in the cold zones so we could find each other and compare notes.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I've been thinking the same thing, Joan. So many of the folks in Dave's Garden live in warmer climes, and their methods of gardening and choice of plants are often quite different. It would be nice to have a cool weather garden forum. Poor Dave... we're never satisfied, are we! LOL.

Hi, Broots. Nice to meet you. It's good to meet folks from the cooler climes, especially poppy growers. I usually grow my poppies in pots, so that lessens the chance of reseeding. I collect seed and start my annual poppies in the house.

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Hi Joan & Weez. Sorry it has taken me a couple of days to get back to the forum. Now that planting is coming close, it seems all I do is carry my flats outside & then it's time to bring them back inside. Either that or I am transplanting in to bigger pots. Weez I always start mine in peat pots inside & then transplant them outside. It works for me too. I know what you mean about meeting someone that gardens in the colder zones. Right now I am so envious of all the Southerners & their beautiful flowers. But our day will come won't it.......Linda

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, Linda, our day will come! It has been a rather cool spring here, but I still have hopes for a good summer. It is exciting to hear of all the plants that are producing down in the warmer climes, but I am just getting my start on the season now. The trees are beginning to leaf out and give us our privacy around the property perimeter. Before long, we'll be into summer, and shortly after that, the first frost will threaten.. about Oct. 1... ah, the joys of northern gardening!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.