Impatients

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

I have 3 container of Impatients. They look terrible now. I keep them watered but they are so straggly. Is there any hope for them?
Sugar

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Impatiens don't like to be wet all the time and fertilizer only makes them get leggy. Shade is the key in hot weather. Hope you can nurse them back to health.

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

They may get to looking better. Mine usually do. I've wondered about breaking off the top if it would bush more from the lower leaves. I've not tried it on impatients. And frankly, I don't worry about shape of the plant so much, as long as it's blooming I'm happy.

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

Definitely cut them back, gingerlily. I've already done it with some of mine. SugarFL, after you cut them back, make sure they're in the shade or at least partial shade. I'm sure they'll adjust and do fine.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Do they transplant well??? I have a section that I know is overcrowed with them, and would like to move them to where they will get morning sun only from their filtered light spot now.

"eyes"

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

kep them in the shade.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

The always grow well for me in the greenhouse, but suffer outdoors. Our weather is too cold and wet. Still, they are a welcome sight in the greenhouse.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

They do well if you cut them back and then fertilize them. They easily get a fertilizer burn or rot from a granular fertilizer if any get on its crown, so I use a foliar spray on them. They are easy to root from cuttings. I have mine in full sun where Ii live and they do fine, but we are not that hot here. I love the double impatients alot. Though this year the main ones available have been the Fiesta ones and they seem prone to rot. I have had to replant them in a fast draining mix which I usually do not use as it is windy here and my pots tend to dry out too quickly. I will post a picture of one of my big pots of purple doubles I took yesterday.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.