Slug bait and mycorrhizal products?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I've noticed some slug/snail problems with my hostas and daylilies already, and I'd rather use an organic remedy if possible. But crushed egg shells and beer baits aren't working and/or aren't feasible in all the beds.

And we'll be planting several new shrubs this fall. I'm very tempted to order "Escar-Go" (iron phosphate slug/snail bait and "Root Boost" (Endomycorrhizal inoculant) from Gardens Alive!

Anyone have experience with either of these products? Do they work as promised? Are there any alternatives that work as well/better/cheaper?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Terry - I saw a slug bait at Wal-mart the other day. I didn't look at it too closely but it said it was safe for birds & pets on the box. I'd imagine it's similar to "Escar-go" - probably cheaper too.

Thanks Sue! I'll probably be making a trip there today, so I'll look and see what they have. I tried Home Depot yesterday, but all they had was the Ortho or Bayer "slug bait" which isn't the same thing :(

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

I have used a product called "Worry Free Slug and Snail" for about four years now and it is great. It is an Iron Phosphate product, and safe around pets, wildlife and kids. The slugs eat it and they dry right up. I find little slug mummies all over! It isn't as cheap as the poison stuff, but so it goes. It comes in a bright green box. I bought mine at Walmart last year, and most every store I go to around here has it.
Also, yesterday I purchased a product new to me, called Super Humix. It is a 6% liquid natural organic plant biostimulant & soil enhancer. Water soluble humates (whatever that is...) I spoke with the nursery owner and she swears by it. Several other folks have told me about it, too, so I'm going to give it a go. It is made in Harrisburg, Oregon, but there is a note on the back saying that for more info, one can use the internet to look for more in depth info on Fulvic and Ulvic acids "and why they are critical to our growing planet." Hmmm. Guess I'll do that. But in the mean time, has you heard of this?

Thanks, ya'll. I ended up wih 2 lb. bag of Schultz brand Garden Safe Slug and Snail Bait - $9.97. I think it has the same concentration of iron phosphate as Gardens Alive! and was a couple $$ cheaper per pound (not counting shipping costs, or the fact that I have it in hand now, :)

Still wondering about the mycorrhizal product. I know there are others on the market, so I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on which one is best.

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

I guess that you could stomp on them if ya'll can find all of them. Maby Shelby could help.

You of all people should know your granddaughter wouldn't dare squish a slug. And she would protest loudly if she saw anyone else killing them, hehehehe

Longview, TX

I heard Sluggo was good, and safe.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.