what is this

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

and what do I do. only bottom leaves look like this

Thumbnail by tiG
Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Hey tiG,
I'm not sure at all by the picture you posted. My tomatoes started two weeks ago with something that the bottom set of leaves started curling upwards but with no sign of insects or spots. I thought it was just leaf curl and dried them up. Unfornately within the last few days the entire plant has followed suit as well as the new stem top growth has become stunted and curled up with no new fruit forming and everyone of my plants in every location has been affected to the point I think they will have to come out. I have been spraying both insecticides and fungicides to no avail. I hope you do not have what I have for no one seems able to tell me what it is including the extension agents.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

it's little brown spots. only on the older leaves. they aren't curling, I read about your problem. Hoping it's nothing, and I hope your problem is minor and treatable!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

tiG,It looks like some sort of fungus or blight.I'd pick the affected leaves and destroy them.If you haven't already,strip the foliage from the first foot or so of your plants,leaving only a stem.Then mulch with straw or something similar so that you get no splash of water touching the leaves when it rains or you water.

Even in containers,you need to be careful that soil does not splash on your leaves.There are several soil born diseases that tomatoes are suseptible to. Depending on what it is...it can spread up the plant.I'm not good at reconizing diseases,so I can't speculate on what it is,but I don't think it's caused by an insect.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Wow...looks like Septoria to me (but remember I'm working w/one good eye here!). I'd do what Mel suggested, especially not splashing the leaves part.
Timothy, I was hoping that wouldn't move up the plant. Since it is now affecting the new growth I'd be more inclined to say it could be something you're feeding them...is there something not broken down in your soil causing a burn or N loss? (Gonna post again in the other thread...you got my curiosity up now.)
tiG, do you have any fruit on your plants yet? Just curious.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

found my first fruit today. is there any kind of fungicide I can use on them?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

looked very carefully and I dont' think it's septoria or early blight. research says use daconil after the first fruit set, does that mean that I leave the plants alone that don't have fruit yet? I will take the leaves off today.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I can't tell you what kind of fungicide to use just becuz I've never used any. I remember tho that early blight tends to appear after fruit appear so that is why I was wondering. (Have always wondered why it's called Early blight when it doesn't seem to appear till mid-season or later!)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

says septoria does too, and there is no black in the center that they use to identify it for certainty. Hoping it's nothing bad, I'll use Daconil in the morning and make sure I don't get the leaves wet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.