Foxgloves

How about this one - for those who don't already know it.

Digitalis x mertonensis

Peter.

This message was edited Friday, May 24th 4:27 AM

Thumbnail by Peter63
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Peter - wonderful picture. The flowers look fuzzy. Now I'm thinking mine is not a mertonensis. Hmmm. Maybe I should remove the photo I had put into the database. What do you think? http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/520/

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Tooo pretty!!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Oh to be able to grow those. I've tried for years!!!

Hello Poppysue - yours is definitely x mertonensis - don't be put off by slight variation. Both plant and camera can be the reason for what little difference there is.

Nice image on the dbase.

Peter.

Nice pic Peter

Poppysue I agree with Peter definitely a D x mertonensis, no D purpurea comes in that shade.

I really must get a decent camera this year!

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

I grew some D. x metronensis fro mseeds, not I have seedlings.. they overwintered well, as my common ones too. Not sure if I see flowers this year tho.

Hello all - logging on again and seing your message Baa, caused me to give more thought to poppysue's very observant remark about the flowers being hirsute. They are in fact so, poppysue, but it will have been emphasised by my taking a section of the original image and enlarging it. This process always highlights plant hairs.
Stangely, some of the background foliage has a blue tinge. But the mertonensis colouring is spot on.

Peter.

This message was edited Friday, May 24th 3:25 PM

This message was edited Friday, May 24th 3:26 PM

Evert depends on when you sowed them!

Peter

You prompted me to put on my glasses for once (I actually went to the trouble of cleaning them too, I am a busy girl! LOL). I peered very closely at Poppysues pic and you can just see some hairs around the flowers. Your flowers look particularly hairy, as you say it could be your closeup or plant variation.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I guess your right Baa - there is a little fuzziness to mine too. I don't think I noticed when it bloomed.

Tell you one thing ladies - there would be trouble afoot if mine was not mertonensis. The pic was shot at a horticultural college training garden :)

Viva the hairy ones.

Peter.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

poppysue! no! Leave yours there. It is a really pretty shot!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I planted some foxgloves from seed a few weeks ago. They are coming up so thick they look like moss. I love the look of foxgloves. I'm hoping they don't resent dividing, 'cuz then I'll have lots of little babies.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.