Need shade loving flowering climbing vine

Wapakoneta, OH(Zone 5b)

Can anyone suggest a climbing vine that is almost totally shade tolerant? Has to flower also. Oh, and a rapid climber.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Bobbi

Honeysuckle (Lonicera) need support when they are first starting out, but are generally profuse bloomers. Hardiness and flowering vary greatly with the variety you choose. Great for hummingbirds.

Trumpet vine (Distictus buccinatoria) flowers best in full sun but will bloom in partial shade. It is hardy to 24 degrees F.and needs yearly pruning to keep it under control. It blooms sporadically with warming weather.

Virgin's Bower (Clematis paniculata) is very hardy climber from the Orient that will reach 30 feet. White, fragrant flowers in August and September.

Dutchman's Pipe (Aristolochia littoralis) has a very unique 'calico' flower and is evergreen and hardy to 25 degrees F and root hardy to below 20 degrees F.

'Mme. Galen' Trumpet Creeper (Campsis x tagliabuana) has bright orange flowers and is hardy to below 0°F.

Brazilian firecracker vine

Akebia guinata / insignificant blooms but nice leaves

Thumbergia Erectra (King's Mantle) medium shade

Clitoria pea vine

Cape Jasmine
Vinca Major - nice blue flowers and vigorous growth

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

So sorry to be so late in reading your vine request but I have sweet autum clematis that grows amd blooms for me in the shade. It is a evergreen also.It blooms white fragrant blooms in the fall.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

climbing hydrangea can be grown right up a tree in the shade, of course. they can get very large over time, i'm not sure if they are fast growers though. i'm starting mine this year.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I am growing passiflora up an oak tree...and I have to constantly cut it back it grows so fast...I don't know where you are though. Lab Lab hyacinth bean grows like crazy too! Pretty foilage and very interesting seed pods.

Wapakoneta, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks to everyone for you suggestions. I think some of those would work. I live in Ohio where the winters are often pretty cold. I'll research these and see what would work im my zone.
Thanks again.
Bobbi

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

How about a kiwi vine. Takes two to make them produce fruits, but look very pretty. Don't know if they are evergreen either. Just a suggestion.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.