Geranium sanguinea

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

This is a reliable hardy geranium and the first one I ever grew from seed.

Thumbnail by Calalily
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I think I actually have THAT one. LOL

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Cala, are the flowers on that sort of a cotton candy pink with darker veins?

Sanguinea is more a fuchsia color. The pink with darker veins is another one. I think Mark is our resident expert on geraniums isn't he?

Is yours this one? http://davesgarden.com/showthread/252896.html

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I may have to post mine. I think it is the only one I have not posted! LOL Peggy is coming Sunday and I think she can tell me for sure. :) I don't know how anyone tells them apart! Aside from a bit of color variation, most of mine look alike except for two that have very different foliage.

Badseed, you will get to where you can tell them apart. It's like hosta, lots of the varieties look alike till you really get familiar with them.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I stopped and looked out front today, where two are close together. One definately has more purple flowers and one has more fuschia colored. Also the purple one is taller while the more fuschia ones is more compact. See, I am learning, there is hope!! That cotton candy pink one is in back. I will have to print out Mark's answers and get them all marked so I don't have to do this again next spring. LOL

Here is a good link for hardy geraniums.http://www.discoveredmonton.com/Devonian/getgro33.html

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Cala that is a really great site! I ran through all the pictures and also did a bunch of reading. I am going to get my pictures together and go back through it. Thank you!

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

the plant could be a G sanguineum but not the species which has red flowers.

It's much darker in real life, but I don't call the sanguineums(the real ones) red either, it's more fuchsia.

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

your could be G sanguineum 'Max Frei'

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Difficult colour to capture with a camera, i'd describe mine as magenta or deep shocking pink (probably the same as fuschia cala) But i grew mine from mixed seed so have just always assumed its sanguineum.
Anyway i love it. Great value!

Will photo mine, should get it on disc thursday.

Philomel, I agree with your description. This one reseeds all over the garden, but are nice to see pop up unexpectedly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.