good types for zone 7b 8a

Longview, TX

Anyone know of good types of xeriscape plants for my zone? I live in NE Tx....thanks.

Lancaster, CA

Opuntia (Prickly Pear) cactus, salvias, artemisias, Iris, thyme, gaillardia (blanket flower), gazania, Oleander (tho some areas have a ban against it), rosemary, sedums.......

That's all I can think of right now :)

Oops ROSES, sunflowers
Chris

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

Kelley check ,my list here on GC.Natives such as Yucca's, Salizaria mexicana, Senna armata.
I also grow. Lavendar, Lantana,Echinacea, Verbena, Penstemon, Gallardia,Osteopermum, Lambs Ears. Dusty Miller, Rosemary, upright, and creeping. Agave, Ocotillo, Juniper, allysum.

Longview, TX

Thanks for your help. I do grow some on your lists already. I hope to go to Yucca Do Nursery and find a few plants for a xeriscape garden. I already have salvias, artemsias, iris, thyme, one oleander, blanket flower, sedums, and roses. The roses have to have water here though. Salizaria mexicana, Senna armata I havent heard of. I will have to look them up. I also have lavendar, lantana, purple coneflower, verbena, penstemon, lambs ears, dusty miller, rosemary, and junipers. I guess I didnt consider what I already had. I saw a huge agave at an arboretum in Garland. It was AWESOME. I must try and get a strictly xeriscape garden going. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Desert Hot Springs, CA(Zone 10b)

Hi Kelly! We are lucky to have our Resiident Expert, Michele. I don't know Chris, but that's a great list, too. I'm always surprised by the lack of action on this thread. I would guess that there are lots of people who live in arid climates with little available water. If Michele were a man, I would have to say " She da man!" when it comes to xeriscape knowledge. Good luck and have fun!

Longview, TX

Hi Tim....yes we are lucky to have people on here who have knowledge, and experience! I got a prickly pear cactus yesterday. One more to my list!

Lancaster, CA

Forgot about the echinaceas. Glad it was on your list Michele. I've managed to collect types now. E angustifolia (Pale Purple), Epurpurea (Purple and White Swan), E tennessensis (flower petals turn upward) and E paradoxica (yellow flowers). So excited to have them. The White Swan, tennessensis and paradoxica will bloom next year (if all goes well).

Should I bag the flowers before they open to collect pure seed? I'd like to be able to share the seeds but I have a small back yard garden so there is no question that pollinators would cross them.

Chris

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

Gosh! .........Thanks :)
I wouldnt call me an expert.
Just got back from Arizona / New Mexico.
Tree Cholla, Green canes with Magenta flowers.
New Mexico Prickly Pear to add to the collection.
Your Back Tim . We were supposed to get you some seeds.
OK. Invitation. Gunfighters for Hire show Sundays 2:30 each and every single Sunday until the 3 week in November. Notify me you are coming and I will give you seeds at the show. Hope your Dad is well Tim.
Its best to bag the flower heads on the bush. That would work :)

Lancaster, CA

Thanks Michelle
Chris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.