Daylilies

Jacksonville, FL

Any daylily nuts on this forum?

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

Hi Lurch! I'm getting ready to plant lots of them in my yard. I think they're so beautiful! You obviously are really into them soooooooo could you recommend some for a beginner? Thanks! :)

Terri

Muncy, PA(Zone 5a)

Yep! Love the lilies. I have more of them in my garden than any other plant and it increases by the year. I don't have alot of the newer ones, but I go for the more affordable types. Especially love the eyed ones.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Love Daylilies...have many different ones, and like you Lorie I tend to go for the affordable and eyed ones too! :)

Going to try some hand crosses this year, can't wait til they bloom. They are all up a few inches.

I also collect oriental/asiatics liliums that get interplanted with the day lilies.

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

How did I miss this forum, I though daylilies were going to stay in perennials. I have all sorts coming this month. I am getting some of my wish list, including from very special seedlings from Wimberlyway, hybridzed by Bill Munson. I can't wait. I love his daylilies. I am also doing crooses and buying seeds hybridized by others. It will be next year befor I see any bloom however :(

puttyrat

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

I've got some dandies coming this year as well. I hope to be able to offer seeds from some of my tet daylily crosses later on in the summer and fall.

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

Great, Indashade. Maybe we can do a trade. I am getting some tets this year that should make for good parents. One of my favorite dips is Jungle Beauty, I wish I could convert it, but I have read about conversions, and I may have to wait before attempting any.

puttyrat

(Zone 9a)

I love 'em too. I only have 3 different varieties. I'm ashamed to say I've not taken them serious enough to keep their names (blush) but they've done so well I'm going to have to GET serious.

Maybe I can learn a thing or 3 from you guys. Mine should be blooming in the next few weeks.

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

Bloomer, don't worry. That is how you get started. I have some still that I don't know the names too, but they are still pretty.

Puttyrat

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Well, we have over 40 cultivars but we only have the names of about 8-10 of those. The rest were gifts from people who didn't know the names. Most of them came from a lady who had purchased a piece of land formerly owned by a woman who made part of her living selling starts of daylilies and iris. That lady had taken starts of her favorites and the name stakes(if there ever were any)with her. When friends and I were digging them they weren't even in bloom so we had no idea what we were getting. As a consequence many of our clumps are multicolored. I do know I can look thru catalogs and say that we may well have that one, or this one, knowing full well that there are many details not visible in pictures that separate cultivars otherwise alike in many ways.
It would be nice if those of you who are or consider yourselves experts on the subject would be tolerant and polite to those less knowledgable and still eager to own and enjoy daylilies. My experience with 'experts' is that all too often they like to hold that knowledge and experience over others as tho it made them superior people in every way.

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

Hi Leaflady,

I think you will find most people here at Dave's garden down to earth. I am not a Hem snob. I have planty of daylilies I have lost names to or never had the name. I enjoy all of them.

puttyrat

Montrose, PA(Zone 5a)

I love daylilies. I only have about 40 different ones. I know their name I wrote them down unfortunatly when I planted them I did't write where I put them! That's ok I still love them!

Hamilton, Canada

Not a "Day goes by that I don't enjoy my Daylilies." I started 15 years ago with Stella D'Oro. The plant grew quickly and over the years I've divided it many many many times. To my surprise and glee while surfing GardenWeb forun a few years back I discovered there were other varieties. Next I ordered a few catalogues and the rest is history. Oh I wanted this one and that one and some of those and oh yes I had to have that one too...so being on a really tight budget (no money and a want list the length of my arm)I found hybridizers where I could get seeds. Each year for the past 3 years I've started seeds and for the first time the long wait (feels like being pregnant with an elephant) I have my first bloom from one of over 40 varieties. Again this year I have another 20 hybrid crosses to start and I enjoy every minute of watching the first seed to sprout.
I think it might be a great idea if we trade seeds of daylilies on this forun. Isolating flower heads and hand pollinating the flowers is easy enough to do. We could have fun and make our own hybrid crosses. I myself started to do this last year. If anyone is interested in daylily seed exchanges let me know and I can either post a message on how to pollinate and we can get together a list of daylily seed trades. Its fun to trade seeds and the money one saves on postage is worth its weight/wait in gold.

Newberry, FL(Zone 8B)

Puttyrat, i am near gainesville, florida and have just returned from the munson house, they are selling day lillies for $1.00 a fan.... they have some "special" ones they are selling for $40 to $150.00 dollars. what a sight, they say 4 acres filled with day lillies. i bought 30 or so fans on two different trips, variety of colors. he said no two are exactly alike but each marked row is similar. the caretaker told me this morning they are starting to get low, they have been digging like crazy all day long, 7 days a week, spread by word of mouth.
anyway, just thought i would share this with you the munson lilies are gorgeous.
arlene

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I am just getting started with the idea of growing a variety of Day Lilies. I have some Stella De Oro, but not much else. (a couple of unknown ones)
Could some of you post your favorite affordable varieties and a couple of sources for them.
Thanks for the help.

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the info Arlene. Wish I could make the trip. Just wondering is the caretaer's name Doug Hyers. He is who I dealt with through the auction. He is most helpful and my lilies are already blooming because they got there start in FL. All have been gorgeous. One is especially beautiful. There are still eight more to bloom. I purchased other Munson daylilies last year mostly on auction waiting to see those bloom for the first time as well. Some of those have scapes too. This is going to be a fun summer.

puttyrat

Destin, FL(Zone 8a)

If anyone has a spare to share this grandma is building a small house in the country and the only thing on the property is about a batch of wisteria .. I sure would love a few daylilies but it is hard to buy flowers and pay for a house too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.