SOLVED: what are these please?

Dallas, GA

Every year I have 2 of these come up, always in the same spot and always just 2! Anyone know what they are? Know what I can do to get them to spread?

Thanks ya'll
Scarlett

Thumbnail by Scarlett

Moving to the Plant Identification forum.

Dave

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Birmingham, United Kingdom

They look like Grape Hyacinth (Muscari). They are small bulbs.If you don't deadhead them, they will make small black seeds, and self-seed freely.
Marigold.

Dallas, GA

Thank you Patty! wonder where they came from? LOL They are so tiny! I dug them up just a few minutes ago and put them into one of flower beds.... maybe next year I will have more! Thanks again

Scarlett

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm with Patty, grape hyacinth (muscari or something like that).

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Yep. I found some little volunteer ones in my yard yesterday....in fact, I need to remember to dig them out and put them in a flower bed before DH and DS start mowing and fertilizing everything in site!

Yes, they are, grape hyacinth, i have thousans of them, been trying to get rid of a load for ages, i am suprised though that you only got the two this year, these things spread quite fast, they increase by three or four each year, the soil may need feeding a bit.

Dutton, AL(Zone 7a)

Yes, they are Grape Hyacinth. Like AJC, I have a pretty goog amt. of them. I enjoy them, but they can multiply to quickly. Planting them along borders or in flower beds are nice, but make sure you control them. I also found that they grow good in both full shade to full sun. They come up in late winter, in Alabama, in a clumps almost looking like grass, and they bloom around March in zone 7.

FernCliffFarms

This message was edited Friday, Apr 6th 9:53 PM

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Alan, we bought this house last summer....I have things coming up that I have no idea if they were intentionally planted there, or if they just "wound up" there. My neighbor has some muscari in her front bed (about 20' away from where these volunteers are, so I'd almost bet that these are not intentionally placed.

ehrikon, Switzerland(Zone 6b)

muscari armeniacum "heavenly blue"

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Ok I have a quick question...Do grape hyacinth seed off?? because mine have just quit blooming and there are some funny looking seed things on them now, I went ahead and collected them and have them drying out, are these worth saving,and will they produce new plants if I leave them on the plant?
molly

Mollybee, they will grow in ideal conditions, but they are difficult to get started, dont dry them to much but put them in compost or soil quite soon, but they may not strike, they are better to divide bulb clumps.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Thank you soo much for the info, I'll do just that!!
thanks again
mollybee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.