Lycianthes (Lycianthes rantonnetii)

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Common name: Lycianthes
Family: Solanaceae
Genus: Lycianthes
Species rantonnetii

Thumbnail by poppysue
Archie, MO

Hi poppysue, I bought one of these bushes this year thinking I could plant it out doors. I do belive I saw one planted out side in Kansas city once and had talked to the man who was growing it. Now it seems that everywhere I look it says this is not hardy for zone 5. Do you know the min temp it can survive to and how soon I should bring it in? Lord knows I dont need anymore indor plants :) Should I prune it down before bringing it in. Any help appreciated.
Shelley

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Shelly, I brought mine in last year and set the pot in my dark cool basement. It dropped all it's leaves so I cut it back to the soil level. I hardly watered it at all. I thought for sure the darn thing was dead.... but around mid-March it started sending up new shoots.

Archie, MO

Ok Thanks, Guess I will try that. Sure isn't much info around about thses things:) We just built a greenhouse here but Im not to sure I trust it that much yet. This one is our second attept. The first one blew down :)I may put this in it for awhile and see what happens. Thanks agian, Shelley

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.