Ferns anyone?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I wish I had more room for shade plants. I love ferns anymore. I can't wait until this cinamin fern gets much bigger.

Thumbnail by hczone6
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Sure, I would love some. Let me send my addy. LOL They look beautiful!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I only have 2 :( The best one is being overtaken with a huge hosta. I need to move it soon.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Move it here! Move it here! LOL I did see that one. I don't have enough shade to even call it shade. I'm just kidding you Marty. They are lovely though.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

I have an asparagus fern that is really nice (also called foxtail fern by some)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Susan, I saw your foxtail fern! It is gorgeous and hard to come by. :) I have the regular asparagus ferns but the Meyers version is so neat!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

flo, do you have your foxtail in the ground? in shade? I've only seen in containers, but I fell in love, bought one, and can't seem to find what to do with it. can you take me a picture?

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

I love fern only I have one and foxtail so pretty never has and I have lot of shade.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

I posted a picture of it in the photo forum I believe. It's header is Asparagus fern. Just look up my name and the posts that I have started tiG and you'll find it. It should do fine in the ground in your zone. I have mine in the ground now but will have to bring it back in in the winter as it would freeze here but would come back from the roots but I prefer to just bring it in. I had it in the basement under lights all winter long and just put it outside a few weeks ago.

Here's what my plant book says about it
This asparagus fern (Myersii) is an arching, trailing, evergreen perennial forming spires of narrow, feathery, leaflike, light green stems. In warm climates, it bears clusters of small pink-tinged white flowers in summer, followed by bright red berries(seed). In cold areas, it makes an impressive conservatory specimen or a much smaller house-or hanging basket plant.
Cultivation: Grow in moist but well-drained, fertile soil, in partial shade. Minimum temperature 35Degrees Fahrenheit.

Hope that helped tiG :)

hczone6, that is an outstanding piece of photography - would be interested to know of camera and any shooting details.

Peter.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Peter, it's a Minolta DiMAGE 5. 3.3 megapixel. I used the automatic settings to take this picture and most all the other garden photos I take. The only thing I might adjust sometimes is the white balance. Here's a link to the site for the camera (and the DiMAGE 7, a 5 megapixel camera): http://www.minoltausa.com/dimage_splash/d7d5/index.html

The DiMAGE 7i is the latest version of this camera which has several improvments. I don't think the DiMAGE 5 is being made anymore, but I think there are still plenty of them in stores or on the internet.

Thanks for the information. That has got to be the best and most informative website I have seen on the subject of a camera. I have recently purchased a Nikon after having had a very basic Kodak. However, I like to know what others use to produce quality images - as your fern certainly it.

Thanks again.

Peter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.