Anyone ever rooted an Akebia cutting before?

I just discovered an Akebia vine in our apartment building's backyard and well, you know how it goes..... Legal and moral questions aside, does anyone know how to make a successful cutting of an Akebia? I've already tried seeds two times with no luck. I do plan on looking later in the season to see if I can find some fresh seeds but would still like to know if there's a way to make rooted cuttings.

Thanks!!

Thumbnail by deblynn
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I think Mystic layers them. She sent me a piece that was rooted and I'm thinking she said she layered it.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I killed the cuttings I got.But I kill cuttings of everything!

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

I take two - three inch cuttings. Making sure one leaf node section is in the soil and one or two above the soil, I prefer one above the soil. I personally don't ever use rooting harmone. Doesn't make any difference to me on the success or failure. I place all cuttings in a mixture of organic peat, potting soil and a little perlite. Then I put the pot in the green house shade and wait. Making sure soil never dries out. Not all will root, but most will. I have some rooting right now. Out of 10 cuttings I have 4 that show promise.

That's my two cents.

Daisy

Thanks everyone! I'll give it a try and also check for seeds later in the season. One way or another, I want one! I really appreciate the help.

Deborah

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

They do layer but that was by accident. lol I did take cuttings just like flowerjunkie said and they are rooting now I did use rooting hormome and I have them in sand . Hope that helps you.

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Boy, once you get one going WATCH OUT!...lol I've got one on a fence and it's a wild dude. He's growing all over the place this year. I think that thing grows 2 ft a day!...lol It's about 4 or 5 years old I guess.

I put a picture of mine as it is today in the plant database. I didn't see a full view of one. Here's the picture: http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/4042/

This message was edited Tuesday, May 14th 8:15 PM

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

If anyone has an extra rooted piece, I sure would love
to get my hands on one.

Patricia

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Me too,but I know I can't root that sucker

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Jon, is that one vine???????/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.