Farrier Question and Horse Breeds

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Me again,
My friend has a new Quarter Horse mare and she was telling me that the horse would never need shoes. The reasoning is that this breed has strong hooves and through breed genetics over the years, these horses can go unshod unless they are ridden on asphalt or rocky places. She is mostly a trail ridder on soft ground. My question is: Are there other breeds which may have such good hoof conditions that shoes are usually not necessary? When I had my Appaloosa and Palominos years ago, I always needed shoes for them. I was thinking about getting a rescue Thoroughbred next year but the farrier bill is a big consideration as to what breed I choose to get. I know I still need the hooves trimmed, regardless of shoes, but any comments on strong hooved horse breeds? Thanks :)

This thread has 10 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!