Please revive this: Are there gardeners here?

Elgin, TX(Zone 8b)

Please revive this thread from the summer of 2001.
I was just getting to know and love all the wonderful participants! The soil, the composting, the pet worms! Tasting, feeling, sniffing the soil!! Nowhere else have I ever felt so normal...
then...the story...just...ended...

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Nevermind...I found it! :)

This message was edited Saturday, Aug 31st 3:40 PM

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

So, gardenwife, where did you find it?

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I think this whole thread was an insult!! We may not all be pros, but we are learning and just trying to have a little fun doing it!!

Hamilton, Canada

Azalea I was inclined to think so also. Most of us are not professional landscapers just home gardeners who learn as we go along. I don't think I ever so anywhere in the Forum that Davesgarden was a professional site. However, professional input posted in an informative and helpful manner is always appreciated. Words can wound or be useful, its how you approach topics.

My canadian 2 cents worth.

1.5 cents US lol

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Everybody on Dave's Garden are gardeners; we may not be intellectual, nor professional, but we are definitely effectual!

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

>but we are definitely effectual!<

I dunno 'bout that, Roz. You ain't seen my garden this year. :-)

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is the link in question! Makes me mad all over again!!

http://davesgarden.com/s/49367.html

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Azalea,

Before you get too bent out of shape, consider this: Most of the people who posted on that thread no longer hang out here at Dave's.

For most of them, it was the subscription price. They were more than willing to get on a soapbox, but not to pay for the priviledge.

I never took part in that thread, myself, because, as Snoopy once said, I would have had to start biting a few appropriate ankles.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks for the link, Azalea. I hopped over there and read the thread from beginning to end. I can see why the name of the thread and the some of the comments in the opening entry could stir some bad feelings. However, the rest of the thread was quite interesting. I wonder if the choice of thread name and the criticism in the first entry was simply a case of bad judgment, or a way of getting us to read it?

As for the content of the exchanges of info on the thread, I was very impressed. The importance of having good "tilth" is indisputable, I would say. I have to agree that here in the US, we often get wrapped up in fertilizers rather than organically improving the quality of our soil over the long haul... we're a rather impatient bunch.

I do, however, question some of the techniques, as they might apply to my particular conditions. In the hot summer climates of many areas, straw, discarded plants, etc. would no doubt compost quite readily. Here, in our cool climate, that is not the case. Composting is a much lengthier process. Adding un-decomposed matter directily under the soil would require that microbes do their work to break them down, robbing the plants I grow on the surface of needed nutrients. What does anyone else out there think?

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes I agree with a lot of the other comments, it was just that first post that torked me!! And yes, I noticed that most of the pothers are no longer with us!! Just seemed like a slap in the face!!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I have to agree with you on that one, Azalea. It's ashame to start a great thread out with a negative tone... it sort of negates all the good things that follow.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I remember when the thread started, and feeling slightly insulted by the poor choice of titles. But that provocative headline, the initial post, and the replies did cause me to think through some things a bit more deeply than I had up to that point. And so, like all good provocateurs, the author got what he was looking for, namely a lively discussion.

In defense of the thread, I don't think the reference was to a lack of professional gardeners, so much as trying to unearth (pardon the pun) readers who consider their soil before planning their gardens.

But since the many of the thread participants are gone, I *could* tweak the title, if it'll revive interest in the subject :)

This message was edited Wednesday, Sep 11th 6:13 PM

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

well, I'm certainly interested in the subject and several times started to ask questions in that thread, but the title did put me off, and didn't want to get yelled at:)

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

I will just have to say that I agree with you, Azalea.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

I will only say that I have to agree with Azalea. Nobody likes to feel insulted, and I did, and should not have been made to feel like this , as I do not think this is the intention of this forum.

Okay, well a little belatedly but I did finally spot the posts here. How about the title now?

And how about posting some new questions to get the forum active again?

Now is a great time to talk about the amendments we added to our beds and how (if) they seemed to affect our plants' health and vigor. And to discuss our ideas for next year's gardens...(not to mention the clock is ticking to get those lasagna (lasagne?) layers going for those of us who do that during the winter months!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Go_Vols: I tried linking from Azalea's hyperlink, but it says the page doesn't exist... I assume the addy changed with the name change?? Could you post the addy again here?

Apparently the thread has gone "buh bye" for good... Perhaps Dave composted it??? (grin)

Anyway, I suggest we make a fresh start and revive the forum with new threads anyway :)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Too bad, good info. Ok, let's make some more memories... I'm just a dirt slinger.... who's an expert?

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

I am a new member of this wonderful site, which I found by a happy accident, and am coming in on the tail end of things. I never saw the thread that troubled some by its title and tone. However...,

I am an urban gardener, trying to slowly convert unsavory particulate matter (dirt), into soil. I'm doing the obligatory reading and investing some cash and sweat. I even have a mini worm farm and am collecting the compost tea (which has TRANSFORMED my house plants).

Personally, it would be very helpful to me to hear some expert, experienced opinon about technical aspects like tilth, cation exchange capacity, structure, micro~minerals, choice and timing of amendments, etc.

Is there a thread where this is going on in relatively deep detail?

Adam.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.