help!! something is on my astilbe

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

My astilbe is starting to bloom & I noticed something white on the scapes. I went to take it off & part of it jumped. It is tiny & snow white. What is it & what the best way to get rid of it without hurting the plant?
Sugar

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

That sounds like mealy bug.

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

badseed what can I do for that..I don't want it on the rest of my plants.
Sugar

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I would think if you don't have many, you can hand pick them or knock them off with a strong burst from the hose. I was looking up info for you and most the the controls seem a little harsh, but there is lots of info about the mealy bug. I honestly didn't know there were several types! Does this sound like your critter? http://www.greengardener.co.uk/mealy.htm
I have only seen them a few times but they reminded me of little bits of cotton or ashes and they hop off if you disturb them. I would not do anything drastic until you confirm what it is.

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

Yes, that's what it is..there isn't many but 1 is 1 too many. I'll see what I can do to get rid of them.. sure don't want them on all my plants :(
Thanks,
Sugar

Sugar

Best way to get rid of mealy bugs, if there aren't many of them, is to dab a cotton bud soaked in Methylated spirits on their backs.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

I was told to do as Baa says but with alcohol. For me it was a temp fix and I lost the plant but it was a jade plant and much more tender than astilbe.

Lana

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.