Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd

Here's a snake gourd, very fat and hollow. I cut a very small hole, about 1.5" tall and wide, poked 6 holes in the bottom, and filled the gourd with soil.

There are 2 Sun Smile morning glory seedlings in there, as well as a unknown succulent. This is a very fun container! :)

Dave

Thumbnail by dave
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

NEATO Dave! What is a Sun Smile morning glory?

Thanks, Sue. The Sun Smile is a japanese morning glory that gets only up to 2 feet long - perfect for hanging baskets. I traded for these seeds from a non-subscriber (christmascactus). Traded a corkscrew vine plant for this packet of seeds, so I hope they are as nice as the pictures I've seen on this page: http://www.poporo.ne.jp/~kondoh/asagao/asagao98.htm

Indeed, so far the leaves are variegated, so it looks like they are coming true.

Sue I'll save seed this year and you're guaranteed a packet from me.

Dave

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh cool! I'm trying the Minibar rose morning glory this year. It has variegated leaves too - but I don't think the flowers are as fancy. You'll have to post pictures when they bloom.

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

I've never seen a MG with variegated leaves. Very pretty Dave.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I may have to go back to a local nursery that had variegated ones for sale!! I love that container.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

KEWL DAVE...........can you offer us subscribers first dibs on the seeds???????

"eyes"

Crossville, TN

Some kind member sent me some seeds...going to do these next year! I like this idea. Jo

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I really like this one! You did a great job of using it's natural shape to produce a really cool container ~ anxious to hear how well they sustain themselves :)

It handled it very well. The trouble was keeping the soil moist, as the plants I used (bush morning glories) have huge root systems. It quickly became so rootbound that water would just flow right through when I watered.

So, my solution was to put it on the ground in the garden and lean it against Trish's antique plow. The roots quickly went through the bottom and into the soil, where the plant then thrived.

The gourd stayed in perfect condition until I finally had to pull it up and dispose of it so I could re-do the garden in which it was habitating.

But it was a fantastic experiment and worked very well! I'll do it again next year!

dave

Crossville, TN

Dave, I would love some Snake Gourd seeds...Can I trade or pay postage? We have plenty of time...I will want to plant some next spring. Jo

rr: Actually I bought these are part of a gourd mix packet from Pinetree seeds. The send a packet of seeds and you don't know what you're going to get. We got a huge variety of fun gourds and I'd recommend everyone try a variety pack sometime. It's a lot of fun!

Of course, then you can't save seed from the gouds because they cross so readily. I toss out all the seeds from my gourds because of this reason.

dave

Crossville, TN

HMMMM Live...and learn!! OK Thanks...a variety does sound interesting. I met a man in the paint isle at wal mart today (if he joins DG his name is Freddy). He told me there was going to be a seed exchange this Saturday at the Farmers Market...Maybe they'll be some gourd seeds! Jo

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Dave - pulling this thread out of the cobwebs! ^_^ Did you end up doing the gourds as planters again after 2002? If so, how long did they last, and did you treat/coat them with anything first?
Syrumani

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Sy!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Inquiring minds want to know! lol ^_^

I never did do this again, although this has got me thinking all over again. I have a huge trash can full of old gourds that I have saved until I had something to do with them. I believe I'll get some out soon and do this. I even have a few morning glory seedlings on my porch that I can use.

Crossville, TN

Keep us posted how long they will survive the outdoors. Thanks! Jo

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

And, please, whether you weather-proof them in any way. Thanks!

The next time I do this, I'm going to spray them with clear spray paint.

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

Well , it seems that I am pulling this thread up from the cob webs again. LOL Dave I am so sorry that I missed out on the time that you posted a lot on the threads. You have so many tips for us. I found this because I too, am searching out to see if gourds can be used for planters and if I have to treat them in some way before putting the soil in. I guess not. Thanks for the info.

Debbie

The gourd lasted the season and then was discarded. If you wanted it to last longer than that, I would think spraying it with a sealant would be a fine idea.

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

Thank you so much Dave.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

And, as I did not treat my "frog house" gourds in any way, when I tugged on them this summer when weeding the garden, the bottoms had entirely composted. I guess it's like making it of a light wood -- if you want it to last, you have to treat it somehow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.