Incense-P. Fl.

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Here it is.

Thumbnail by Hibiscus
Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

Oh YEAH!!! This is just beautiful, thank you Hibiscus!!!
Now I guess my next question is that the plantsman I bought this from said with good protection it would overwinter here in zone without a problem. I see that you're also in zone 5, have you grown this variety before??? Btw I live just south of Toledo not too far from you!!!
Thanks again,
Becky

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'm guessing that he was talking about Incarnata. It will overwinter with protection, but I'm pretty sure in our zone, that Incense will not. Might email him for an answer to this one. I have tried to email him about some cuttings he was going to sent for his kerria bush, but haven't heard from him. Hope he is okay.

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

Oh, you've misunderstood me Brugie, the plantsman I'm talking about is the retail greenhouse owner where I bought this. He did have incarnata for sale and said that it was more hardy than the incense but that both would survive!!??
He said the incense need much more protection though, I suppose if I planted it in a pot in the ground I could bring inside for the winter, but with my luck it would have a better chance of survival outside!!!!
Becky

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Becky, I'm putting all of my passifloras in the ground this year and will take cuttings during the summer so I have smaller plants to care for over the winter. I did misunderstand you about plantsman. Maybe the guy I'm talking about is plantman. Geez, I don't know. I just worry about people when I don't hear from them or they don't post on the forums for a while. My own opinion is that you would not be able to save it if left outside, no matter how much protection. According to my book, it is hardy to zone six with protection. Maybe on the south side of a house with lots of protection it might make it. Here, it wouldn't have a chance, but strange things have happened. Why not take some cuttings, make sure some root, and leave the mother plant out to find out. Can't ever hurt to try. I had someone tell me one time that if you try, you can make hostas like the sun. Well, they are right. If you start them out in the sun, they become accustomed to it and do just fine. So......why not Incense. I might even give it a shot if I can find a place that would hold the heat. Maybe under my dryer vent? :-)
How cold can you get there? We have been down to 31 below several years ago. This year, I'm not sure we ever went below zero at all. Generally we will get down to 15 below and maybe colder. Hey, to me once it is zero, lower numbers don't make much difference. Cold is cold. Okay, I've rambled too long. If you get anymore information on this one, let me know. I'm curious.

I just read a little further. It says minimum temperature, 40 degrees.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Brugie, that's great to know about the hardiness of Incense. I'll give it a try this year in the ground.
I've done hostas that way and it works, astilbes will do fine in the sun too as long as they are in full sun from the time they peek thru the soil.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.