I am "blessed" with shade!

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

This is the sunniest spot in my garden. I have been gardening this large shaded area for three years. I still consider myself a newbie in the presence of you all. I have become addicted. To see the back side of my garden, take a look at my entry in the "garden art contest". Doris

Thumbnail by Doris

Wow! Just beautiful!! Thank you for showing us!

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Doris
I love your birdbath and stone steps. It's a beautiful serene garden
Jan

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Nice job, Doris, very nice!!

"eyes"

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

Hi"eyes" Thanks! It's amazing how the garden has grown since this picture. Maybe I can post another later. I'm so proud to see it growing. I still consider myself a novice. This is my third year since starting the garden. Enjoying it so much! Doris

Longview, TX

Doris, GREAT JOB....I love it!!

Powell, TN

Doris, A Beautiful scene!!!!! Also like the stone steps.Beebalm

St. Thomas, ON(Zone 5b)

Doris we have moved to a new home and your back yard looks almost like ours. You've dine a nice job it looks very inviting to walk thru.

Riverhead, NY

Doris I am still very new here can you tell me how to get to the garden art contest? thanks, LOL
dancinglady

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Hey Lady, Look here http://davesgarden.com/contest/2002/gardenart/

Dave's has sooooooooooo many treasures to see!

Vi

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Doris, I am going to show your picture to my hubby. We have a bank that is bare, and we have talked about doing something with it, but haven't come up with a master plan.

Your area looks great, and I hope your picture will inspire my DH. Nat

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

Nat, It really looks different now. I'll try to get another picture posted for you to see how it looks in April, almost a year later. By-the-way my bank is 99% clay and 1% sand rock! It has been a challenge trying to get things growing there~but lots of fun! You're lucky to have a helper. My helper had rather be golfing :). That's okay, my garden project has really become my passion as well as my therapy!
Good luck. Doris

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Many thanks Doris! I would love to see how your area has evolved.

Yes, much of my yard is clay also. On a small scale, it's not much problem. But when I ask my helper to dig a hole for planting trees or bushes, I usually encounter resistance. But he's really good about tilling and helping me with the heavier work. But for the most part, the gardening is my baby.

My bank gets full sun, so I'll need perennials and trees that can handle the heat. I was thinking about crape myrtles, hardy hibiscus, daylilies, and maybe an arbor for vines.

Looking forward to your follow up photo, Nat

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I look forward to seeing your pictures from this season. I think shade gardens have always been my favorite. You can grow more things in the shade than most of us realize and there is no better place to spend a warm afternoon than a shade garden! Yours looks wonderful!!

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

This is how it looks this year-so far!

Thumbnail by Doris
Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

And another view from the top of the bank, front of the garden, looking west.

Thumbnail by Doris
Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

One more view!

Thumbnail by Doris
Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Doris, your shady garden looks great. Is that moss that I see in between the rocks? I am sure that you enjoy this area - - it looks like a great place to linger and drink a cup of coffee. I showed my guy your pictures and he is talking about putting in a terraced garden on my bank. We'll see..... Nat

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

Yes Nat, There is moss (some natural and some I've transplanted) in front of the round bed and around some of the rocks. There is another section of moss at the top of the bank west end of the garden that has appeared naturally (not pictured).

I think a terraced garden would be great. Good luck! Doris

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Doris it has filled in beautifully!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.