my pond

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Do YOU drain your pond and start over each year?

Thumbnail by mingsmimi
Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

no, and you shouldn't. you lose all the balance the pond has achieved. beautiful pond!!! I love it. will you come do mine?

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

????? Really?? What do I do about all the algae? and the leaves? Fro m the winter/

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

scoop the leaves out. Get cover going on the top, parrots feather, hyacinths, etc. all those plants will use up the food the algae is feeding on. And you need the cover to keep the sun off of the water, that's what helps the algae to bloom. you can get Algaefix, check a thread or two below for a great source. Your 'sludge' on the bottom should be no more than 1" thick.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

My mom has completely emptied and cleaned her pond twice a year for seven years and never lost a Koi but there's always the possibility. It does throw off the balance of your pond as tiG said.

Lana

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

I don't and haven't completely drained. Once I did do a 3/4 change but I was having horrible problems with the water (too many chemicals) and it's been fine ever since. I have considered "sucking" up the stuff on the bottom but DH says wait...so I'll wait. Can you get to the bottom and suck up the yuckies? Or maybe just scoop out with a net? That's what I've been doing all along.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I DO NOT have fish in mine. Just plants. I really didn;t want to deal with mre things clogging the filter. If you know what I mean..so, drain? not drain

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Mings, Even if you drain your pond and start over, If you don't have some kind of plant cover for the top of the water ( To block most of the sun) Chances are you will get algae all over again.
I myself, would go by what Tig posted.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

From what I understand..I do;t have enough plant life . I need more. I just have 4 water iris and 2 pots of NON blooming water lily;s ....Don;t know why they don;t bloom.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Water lillies are 'heavy feeders' Do you fertilize them enough?

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

AAHHH I looked around the room and no one else was here. so I guess you are talking to me and I must honestly say...NO!... EW!!!!! I am a bad mother! Heavy feeders huh?? I will go find something to feed them this weekend.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

That reminds me to dig out my pond tabs!!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

pond tabs???? "SPLAIN LUCY">>>.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

LOL! .. "Pond Tab's" Are ferilizer tabs that you stick down in the soil of the pot that 'per say' your water lillys are in. They can be bought at home depot or watergarden supply stores ect. ( They are a bit exspensive )

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

When I got m plants...2 August's agoI fed them then...with these green things...and to be quite honest...I totally forgot all about it till 5:24 when I was asked about feeding. I am really embarrassed to say. I best start paying closer attention here. Pleas don;t tell anyone

This message was edited Friday, May 3rd 8:29 PM

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

you should feed them once a month from now til August. Make sure you put the tab under the soil and cover so it doesn't feed the algae in the water.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

okay. sorta like stuffing a turkey....

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

right!! you'll see a huge difference in your lilies. how big is your pond? you probably need more plants, although 2 lilies will put out a lot of leaf cover by midsummer. depends on your pond size though.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

my top bog pond is 35 gallon and the bottom pond part is 125. I believe that is correct. It was a kit from "Sams' club

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

2 lilies would do then if you feed them. I have zebra rush and an arum you can have for postage!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

You will be so proud of me! We went to Mellingars this morning and I got some Pond tabs! ( I never realized that place was so close)..!! Fun fun.
Let me know how much for postage! that would be great! Thanks!!!! :)

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I DID IT! I GOT IT DRAINED. ALL THE SLUDGY LEAVES OUT AND REFILLED AND THE WATERFALLS UP AND RUNNING. ONLY TOOK ME 4 HOURS AND I FERTILIZED. WOW! I AM WORN OUT!
IRIS! you were correct! Pond tabs DO co$t big $$$. I got them today when we were at http://www.mellingers.com they were supposed to be $5.50 and they charged me 9.50 and I didn;t realize it till I got home. 45 minutes away. bummer. :( And thats putting it mildly. I think I will email them and see what they say.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Mings, If you saw the price as $5.50, I would definately E-Mail them or call them and let them know of the mistake ( $4 is $4 !!! ) It's too bad it's a 45 minute drive for you.
Here's a site for you to check out when you have time:
www.paradisewatergardens.com

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I emailed them last night. We shall see. Either way. I'll get to post my first responce in the Watch dog!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Pond tabs are expensive - I got the sticker shock last year. Someone recommended finding the Jobe's (or another brand) fertilizer stakes with a similar NPK ratio and breaking them into pieces *about* the same size as the pond tabs, and using them instead. I'm going to try it this year and see if it works.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

You would THINK there would be something you could just toss in the water and not in each plant!
~*~ my pond water is almost clear! it looks so good!!!!! SO glad!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

you have to keep the fertilizer out of the water or you just feed the algae and it gets nice and green :)
Jobes is a good idea, if you still have the package yours came in you can just get something similar. oh, and here's good news, you are supposed to feed them every month!!!!!!!!!!!!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

oops, from now til august or so

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

GGGGGRRRR my luck that is all that will grow is algae

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.