cillies as insecticid

Enkoping, Sweden

hi friends
Have anyone heard about if its possible to make an insecticid from hot peppers.A man told me to boil some pepperpods in water for 0,5 hour and then spray it over the insects.What do you say? Worth a try.

Roger Dahlstrom

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep Roger, hot pepper spray is very popular here. I used to chop or puree the peppers in a blender and let steep over nite, then strain. However, since I'm basically lazy at heart some yrs back I started buying Hot Sauce (the hotter the better, like Tabasco) and diluting it w/water and spraying.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

What ratio was the dulution, Shoe????

"eyes"

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

eyes, if you have a small garden you can just mix up some spray in a standard 32 oz spray bottle. I'd use roughly 3 tablespoons of Tobasco per bottle (and mix w/water of course)...shake well and spray. This is just a repellent you know. You can also just sprinkle red or black pepper at the base of plants to repell also (especially aphid-carrying ants).
As for the pepper pods...puree a good handfull of them in a blender w/a suitable amount of water to keep 'em "churning". Strain. The water will be so strong it may burn your hands so be careful not to get too much of it on you. You can then use this as a base...depending on the plants and/or bug use a half cup of this to a gallon of water. It works even better if you add a bit of cooking oil (corn oil, peanut oil) to the mix, then spray.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.