Department of Agriculture (US) confiscated seeds

Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know that a friend in Texas received my letter but not my seeds this week. She received a letter from the Department of Agriculture that stated the seeds had pests and they were confiscated. These were clean seeds!

This is the first time this has happened since the new rules started in January. I thought everyone might like to know that the US government is enforcing the rules.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

deblynn,
How did they know that they were seeds?, did you declared anywhere in the enveloppe as seeds?.
It's important to know.

cristina

Sorry, I forgot to put that in my post. No, I didn't declare "Seeds" anywhere, never do. I sent it in a normal envelope with some bubble wrap, which is usually how I've been sending seeds since the laws changed. I have no idea why they looked, other than perhaps it was just a random check? It's one package out of maybe 10 to 15 since January, so that's the one positive. Just thought I should let people know they are taking the seeds out if they find them.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Good to know.
Thanks deblynn
cristina

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Well now this is just the opposite......someone sent me two packages of seeds.....should have been the bad ones too....and the envelop was ripped....two sides where tore open....I am sure that every thing must have come out....well the USA..PO...collect everything. and put it back in the envelope....and enclosed it in a plastic bag...Saying they were sorry, that it was ripped....the person didn't say what was in the envelop.....but the seeds were there.....and marked with what they were....so I think, it is who is looking in the post office...for what ever it is worth........(Diana)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Little trick....Write on the customs declaration" Photo's and collectables...........Dennis

Good idea, Weezingreens. Thanks! I agree that it depends on who's looking at the PO. Just was surprised that I actually had seeds taken by the government (that they were following the rules LOL).

New Albany, MS(Zone 7a)

I have been told to label them as beads. That is what I have done with Lotus seed from over sea's. Acutally it is not lying. A lot of variety of seeds are used in decorative work now days. SO, who is to know any different? As long as it ain't wacky weed seed. Then you might not be able to explain that one. LOL.

This message was edited Wednesday, Jul 17th 9:33 PM

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

My post office employees never ask what I am shipping, but are very curious by the packing. Once one of my trade packages was leaking with water. I told them it fell in the rain. How it got to the trader, I will never know. The box was soaked on the bottom.

*LOL* The enforcement really is a challenge to the creative abillity. No road block is so tight, that water don`t find a channel.

DebLynn, maybe the seeds made noise, if the letter was shaken? That could be one reason. Bad luck of course another.

I sometimes ad post- or birthday card on the label and wrap seeds in dry paper towels and glue to the card.

Duncan, BC(Zone 8a)

I folded an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of cardstock into 4 as for a card and put the fine poppy seeds on scotch tape and put that inside the folded card.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.