using algaefix

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

okay, it got here in 2 days, paid less than most places but now.....
it's supposed to work with plants and fish in place. Does anyone who has used Algaefix have any hints or clues before I just jump right in????
speak now.....

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Is now too late? lol Poor into running water..and stand there and watch the fish. Watch to see if they react to it. These were the instructions I was told to do. Good luck and let us know. "T" :)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

no, not too late. was up til 4 and back up at 7, just can't get going to do anything :) thanks!

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Ponder's I have used AlgaeFix for 2 years, great results.
Follow the direction carefully and you wont have any problems.
I start when I open the pond for the summer with 1 treatment, and at the same time I add my barley straw. Then I set back, pond clears in 2-3 days and with the barley stays clear all summer, just remember to change the barley after 2-3 months. ALGAEFIX is a godsend.
Annabelle15

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

annabelle, you don't worry about your plants or fish? I don't have pumps running in any pond, but we will run the pump in the fish pond when I do this.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

tiG - Where did you get it?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

www.thewatergardeningshop.com
it was the cheapest price on the web, and I got it in two days. can't beat that. They were even out of the 16 oz, and sent me 2 8 oz for the same price so I wouldn't have to wait.
got two plants from them also, and they are very healthy, great prices.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

tig,and poppysue. I have water lilies, catails,parrot fern,iris, taro, and cannas in the pond now and the algaefix doesn't bother them as long as you follow the instructions.
DH and I were at the pond store last night getting some Koi and a lady was having a problem with algae, said she didn't want to use any chemicals.
I was talking to the sales clerk and she overheard us. I told him I thought the AlgaeFix was worth it's weight in gold, Guess what The Lady bought some and I got a free Fish.
Annabelle15

Longview, TX

I tried the link you posted with no luck. I have an algae problem in my pond too.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm so sorry, it's http://www.thewatergardenshop.com/

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

tiG - Ordered it ... plus I had to get a few water plants :) - they came today and look great! I'm impressed!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I was too! great little company!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

So you only have to put the AlgaeFix in once at the beginning of the season, then add your bundle of barley straw? That's not bad...We only have a 135gal pond, I think. We've not cleaned it for the season just yet.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

you shouldn't empty out your pond and start all over. it will give you a fresh bloom of algae if you do.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

It's so full of debris and mud and junk...What do we do in the spring? Can we clean it, then add the AlgaeFix and barley straw? We're relative newbies when it comes to the pond. :) We need to (a) fix or (b) replace our pump, too. It bit the dust this winter. We have it sunk in a plastic basket with lavarocks for filtration.

Just read Mingsmimi's thread at http://davesgarden.com/showthread/240211.html -- that addresses the cleaning question.

I wonder if one of those new Shop-Vac's with the waterpump capability might be good for cleaning the excess silt from the bottom. We could filter the water and put it right back in the pond that way. We can't buy a Shop-Vac, but maybe we can find someone around here with one we could borrow for a Saturday. :)

This message was edited Friday, May 3rd 4:05 PM

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

lots of people use a shop vac, but you have to take your fish out first. Not really sure what people do that have fish do, but I know it's very common to use one. You can start fresh, clean but do NOT scrap the sides, it will help your pond to get healthier faster if you leave the stuff on the sides. Starting with 100% clean is pretty but not good for the pond. I just scoop out the leaves and muck and keep scooping. Do a half water change, and scoop while it's low. that might be all you have to do.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I drained mine. SO GLAD I DID! I have no fish. I just took out all the leaves. Left the stuff on the sides. Didn;t scrub anything. just took out leaves. and iris roots. Refilled. Added "PondCare...ACCUCLEAR Pond clarifier". 3 capfulls . And if you go to the photo I just posted. you will see how clear it is. And that is 12 hours later. Now. I had fresh water. BUT> Ther is still stuff on the sides of the pond too. like my neighbor lady said. Its a pond. its not a pool.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I just turned my filter pump anound and let it pump out the water instead of send it to the falls. last year.> We went and got a sump pump....before we realized we could just do it this way. I have 2 tubs with pity full lilies in them. I just slid them from side to side and scooped up any loose dirt. there wasnt; much. and put it back in the pots. I never used the barley straw.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

something just popped in my mind. if the crowns of your lilies are covered, they wont' bloom. If they are, repot them with the tuber at an angle to keep the crown out of the dirt. and dont' use anything but plain unamended garden dirt, clay is good!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

oh no!! They just might be. Its all I can do to slide them around. you mean . I might have to drag them up to the surafce? EW! I'll bet ou are correct though. this is their 3rd year in there(august) and have never bloomed. Don;t get more than a leaf or 2 either.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

oh, that's not right. they might even need dividing. listen. how about just tossing them and let me send you two new ones. and a link on how to pot them up? what colors are they supposed to be? I have pink, Burgundy princess and white that I know which ones they are. (be sure and mark yours :)

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

?Really? Color doesn;t matter. I'll take what ever scraps ya have . I just would love it if something bloomed. Someone kept saying my water temp didnt get hot enough for it to happen. I didn;t realize all this was such a science. Let me know. Would love it if I had a bloomer.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

it has nothing to do with your water temp, but you are in how much shade?? cause they do need 4 hours of sun.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I'll bet they get that. I have water iris that bloom there. And I have all sorts of other plants around the pond that bloom. Regular iris and day lilies and things.....too many to list.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

good. I'll send two good ones, you just compost those, stop agonizing over them. get your pots and clay ready, and I'll get my plants ready. I don't have water hyacinth or water lettuce, so look in your farmers market bulletin and see if you can find someone close that's cheap. Or post for some for postage?? anyway, even if you get a little algae bloom, you'll be okay.
OH, and when you get those lilies out, find those fertilizer tabs and save them for the ones I'm sending! so do it today before they dissolve!!!!!!!!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

those tabs are in 5 gallon pots......somewhere.....

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I'm not sure if it matters or not, But, When I first got my water lillys, I was told to bring the pot up close to the top of the water, When the lilly pads reached the top, Drop the pot down a couple inches and wait for the pads to reach the top again, and keep dropping it down a couple inches from the top untill the pot rests on the bottom of the pond, I've done it that way and fertilized and my lilly's have done great! Just thought I would mention it.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

you can even drop them a foot at a time once the leaves are growing and they will grow to the top. but for a new lily, do it Iris' way!!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, wow - I didn't know that about dropping water lilies down a step at a time! We just put our hardy water lily in the bottom of the pond when we got it and it grows up to the surface and blooms. The pond's only 2 or 2.5' deep, so I guess that might factor in. They're just getting started this year...I need to get my fertilizer tabs in there!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

My pond isn;t that deep wither. Its a kit one a mold. So, its about that depth. They just don;t bloom

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

2' is perfect.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

oh good!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.