poppies

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

well, they finally did come up!!! couldn't believe I had lost them all, so it's good to know I didn't. now, some of them are about 3" or maybe a little more. How fast do they grow? if they're 3" now, about when will they bloom? I know, that's asking for a big answer, but there is probably an average of how fast, right?
thanks

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

tiG that's great news! They grow a bloom pretty quickly. Here I usually have blooms by the end of June. I bet yours will bloom in early June.

I noticed I had a bunch of shirley poppy babies winter over here [zone 5] with no problems. I see I have California poppy seedlings already sprouting ouside too. No signs of the opium poppis yet but I'm sure they'll be up. I'm going to plant some more today :)

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

tiG... there are Calif. poppies that are 3" tall and are in bloom. the seeds were winter over from last summer's bloom. lmk if u want me to take photo and i can e-m to u.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I'd love to see the picture!!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

i'll take the photo when daylight comes. i will e/m first theing tomorrow. u won't believe where this small poppy is growing... on the crack of the tar along the driveway. :).

edited to add link to the photo i took a few minutes ago ... http://davesgarden.com/showthread/234478.html

This message was edited Thursday, Apr 25th 11:59 AM

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Ma Vie - They do the same thing here! I have them on top of my retaining wall - and the seeds spill down into the driveway cracks. They certainly are tuff little fellas!!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Poppysue... the sure are amazing. i never expected them to grow where they are. what amazes me is... i know on the Calif. Poppy Reserve Area... they hardly bloom during the years where there are no rains. tought little ones aren't they.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.