chinese ornamental rhubarb

Battle Ground, WA(Zone 8a)

Does anybody on here grow rheum palmatum 'astrosanguineum'? It appears on the cover of Thomas Hobbs' book "Shocking Beauty." It is a most remarkable plant, like most rhubarbs, except an incredibly deep burgundy. It appears as though it would be a beautiful backdrop for other colorful perennials. I purchased a couple of plants this last week, and was just wondering about the experience of others in relationship to sun, shade, etc. Thanks in advance

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Call me jealous! It has been on my dream list for a few years. If you check back a couple of pages in the photo forum, two different people posted that theirs were coming up. Hope that helps.
Michele

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/showforumphoto.php?imageid=9419

I have several ornamental rhubarbs, is this what you are talking about. These pics were taken in March - the leaves are now huge about 12" in size!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh and who other than you should show up to rub my nose in it AGAIN!!! LOL Okay, that does it. I am going to take you up on your offer to come live with you and work your gardens! Clear space Momma, we are coming in! ROTF

wow...that is gorgeous and looks like what I saw in the Thomas Hobbes book. Interestingly enough, the ones sold to me as this have green leaves to begin...the guy swears they will turn this beautiful burgundy. Time will tell. I planted it not far from a Tropicana Canna. They should be smashing in the same area of the flower bed. Now I have to figure out where to put the other one!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Bill, Bill, tell your wife I changed my mind! I WILL drive to Warren! LOL

HUGE QUESTION: I am still bugged by green vs. red leaves. When I talked today with Thomas Hobbs' nursery, the lady laughed and said they have been unable to find a plant like the one on the cover of his book for 4 years! It wasn't their picture, and they said that many if not most of the rheum palmatum astrosanguineums start red then turn green! I don't get it. I've seen several around here (not for sale) that ARE red! Any thoughts? And what is this beautiful variety of rhubarb we see in the picture here? That is certainly the leaf color I'm looking for. Where is it from, and what is it actually called - besides "ornamental rhubarb"? There ARE other varieties of rheums, so....
Thanks!

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5a)

I picked up a couple of sorry-looking, pot-bound rhubarbs last fall. I had to just run out and check the tags and sure enough, one of them is R. palmatum 'astrosanguineum'.

The newest leaf is almost full-sized and all green. The oldest leaves are all red. Mid-aged leaves are halfway between.

Guess the price was right for those plants. (I think I paid $2 each.)

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Trust me, LOL, my leaves start out green and then turn and they get quite large. I'll take another photo this weekend and show you the green and the burgundy and the size.

And, Badseed, I have an entire second floor that is not being used!!!!!!!!!!! Come of over.

This message was edited Wednesday, May 8th 9:22 AM

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5a)

I checked the AHS A to Z reference book at work today. It's normally reliable. But it said that they start red and turn green. That's not what I'm seeing. Is it a mistake? Are there two different plants? Does it depend on conditions?

haighr, in the beginning you did not identify whether yours was rheum palmatum astrosanguineum. Is it? Or is it one of the others? Interestingly enough, at the nursery several weeks ago I saw them selling just a regular old edible rhubard that supposedly has striking purple veins on large green leaves. The difference here is that the one on the rpa's are supposed to get 3' or so across.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Will have to check on the rheum palmatus (not sure). But I will tell you the leaves get very large, right now mine are probably 12-15" across the span. If the sun ever comes out in MD again I will take another shot and post. Will let you know later about the species.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.