Alaska Nasturtiums

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Here's one of my favorite nasturtiums (Tropaeolum majus) called Alaska Mix. The leaves have a marbled variegation that make it striking even when not in bloom.

The leaves tend to be smaller than most varieties, and the habit more bushlike than trailing. It works quite well in containers. I have no idea why it is called Alaska.. perhaps the white is reminiscent of snow.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens

Would luv to have some seeds if you have any extra

Hamilton, Canada

I like that variety also. I grew them last year and they were by far my favourite.
Joydie

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

My favorite annual!!! Yours are beautiful!!!!!
sue

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

CoCo: I'll look for some seeds, but I'm not sure if I collected these separately. I'm also not sure they will come back true from seed. If I can't find some, they are available from most seed companies. I'm not sure why they are called Alaskan... they don't seem to be exclusive to our state. However, nasturtiums do well here. I'll email you if I find I have some collected seed.

Thanks, Guys. Last year I was so busy that I had my DH plant the nasturtiums. I had Tall Trailing, Alaska, Dwarf Jewel, Empress of India, Mahogany, and Gleam Mix. When I went to check on his progress, he'd planted them all like a patch quilt.. no pattern, no rhyme or reason! However, I have to admit, it was a pretty display that summer!

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Weezing, for posting the photo. Now I know what I'm missing! These are lovely & I've purchased a different variety to see if I've better success with germinating. Interesting that they do so well in your zone. I'm in Ohio so I'm going to have to find the trick to achieving success these gems. I'll try to fake them out that they're really growing in Alaska :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.