Rabbit poop for soil?

Just wonderin' if that would be okay?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh yes it would be okay! I asked a similar question last year; my neighbor has rabbits, and lets me have the "berries" if I'll come clean out the area beneath the hutches.

It's mild, doesn't need composting, doesn't smell bad. What more could you ask for? Just spread it around the base of your plants; work it into the soil, or not.

Loganton, PA(Zone 6a)

rabbit poop is great for plants. just dig it right in dirt

Pioneer, CA

Rabbit poop IS good for your garden but let me tell you my experience with it. I raised French Loops and for a treat I'd go out in the yard, pick dandelions, wash them, and feed the rabbits every morning. I put the droppings in the yard around my plants --- good idea huh? Well, I didn't realize that they wouldn't digest the seeds, so I had the nicest crop of dandelions you have ever seen. It's still worth using though,great for the soil.

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Don't believe a word of it, Midwestsnowbird. They don't know what they're talking about. Rabbit poop is very _bad_ for your garden. Ruins the soil; burns the plants; kills the microherd. Really! Would I lie?

But tell you what. In the spirit of Christian charity, I'll be happy to come haul it all away so it doesn't become a bother to you.

:-)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Brook shame on you. Trying to dupe a poor fellow gardener like that. tsk tsk tsk. Midwest, hopefully you've gotten the inkling that yes indeedy rabbit poo is wunnerful stuff. So much so that gardeners will go to any lengths to beg, borrow or steal it from one another.

LOL ya'll are so goofy. Ok so I take it I can put it in my beds! I only have 2 so it's not a whole lot I just figured why let it go to waste when it might actually be good. thank you all! :)

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Yeah, Snowbird, just put it right in to your beds. Unlike some other manures (like cow), rabbit poo won't burn your plants.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I take the expensive dog food excretions from my beloved four legged ones and make "poop soup". Just a fun name to try to make the exercise less painful. I scoop up the various matter & mix with hot water to help quickly dissolve the @#&!. Usually, I do this in the Spring when it's cold or windy so it's not particulary difficult on the nose. Then, I use old gallon plastic milk containers cut for scooping from the soup. I use this where ever I need extra nutrients and it's never failed (knocking on wood!). I've even revived my grass where I thought it was just not going to make it. Works like a charm if you can stand the whole thing.

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Morph,

The reason dog poop is usually not recommended is because dogs carry all sorts of pathogens that we are sensitive to. The fear is that you could transmit some disease to your family when they eat veggies fertilized that way.

It's probably a tempest in a teapot sort of thing; more theory than reality. But I figured it was worth passing on for those not aware of it.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Mmmmmm ~ thanks for the fyi, Brook. I've not used on anything edible yet. Just for flowers, gourds & other yard purposes. Think I'll keep it limited to that. Thanks for the advice.

Brooksville, ME(Zone 5a)

I put the rabbit poo right in with my kitchen scraps and grass in the regular composter. I never thought of just putting it straight into the garden. I'm going to start doing both.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I used to raise and show rabbits. That's how I improved the terrible clay soil I have.

Pioneer, CA

This year I have used SO many bags of rabbit "stuff" in my garden and I have the absolute best garden I have ever had. I also bought worm castings, a lot of them, and have added them to seed rows and the holes before planting. what a difference this stuff has made for me! I'm going to contact the woman I bought all this from and make another trip to her rabbitry. Right now she has her business up for sale so I do hope when she sells the business it will continue the same way.Some of my neighbors have kidded me about not using chemical fertilizers and being so fussy about my compost pile and soil, but BOY, are they re-thinking their position now.This is a fabulous garden year for me. This afternoon I picked the biggest Brandwine tomato I've ever had! This is a good time!

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yay! Now I have a reason to get rabbits again. Which brings me to a question, how about gerbils? Are they good for that too?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.