VOTE FOR AMERICA'S NATIONAL TREE ; time is running out

Chatham-Kent, ON(Zone 6a)

Since Earth Day is coming soon , please plant a tree / shrub for present and future generations to enjoy .
The Vote for America's National Tree has put the following five trees in the lead so far -- (in alphabetical order) Dogwood, Maple, Oak, Pine and Redwood.
Please vote for America's National Tree :
http://www.arborday.org/votealt.cfm
Rock On !!

" I am myself and what is around me, and if I do not save it, it shall not save me. "
Jose Ortega y Gasset

(Zone 8a)

HOWDY CHOOCH!
I'd say Cedar if it were not for this
blasted pollen they emmit and stuff us
all up with here. The wood smells so
good and it has such a pretty and quite
unique wood as well.
But I think I'd hafta say the Magnolia
and Weeping Willow are my fav.s to see.
They are so Southern to me.
But don't worry, I never wait till some
designated earth day to plant one. I plant
several every year. I am planting 17 trees
this week alone. WHEW!!! See, some of us hugg
our trees all the time. The only draw
backs are the splingters in our cheeks.
Hee,Hee,Hee.

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

It is kind of hard to pick a "national tree" considering all the zones. I would have to research this one. Unfortunately the native dogwoods are experiencing a disease problems, some areas of my state, VA have experience great loses of the native dogwood. In having such great diversity of plant materials we sometimes import "things" which we did not intent to import. In this case it is thought the diesase came over with imported Kousa dogwoods, which by the way are resistant. It has spread southward from New York where it seem to have started. Anyone remember the American Chestnut? This was probably the most devestating disease introduced in the states. 50+ years later they are still working to bring back the American Chestnut, but most likely all we will ever have is a hybrid between an Asian chastnut and the American chestnut. OK I must be experiencing coffee overload.

Trees are of great importance! Plant a tree.

Sally

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

well I voted for the MIGHTY OAK for are national tree-because it's big,strong and MIGHTY. We have 4 really huge ones in our yard and I luv them!

(Zone 9a)

I second the Oak nomination!

I use any excuse to plant a tree. Births, memorials, etc. Both my grandsons have oak trees that were planted when they were born.
Everytime I see trees being cleared for development, I plant another tree (I have 3+ acres). Just my meager attempt of trying to keep things in balance.
Paula

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

I third it! I voted for the Mighty Oak, too. :)

Camden, NJ

just like election plant early and plant often!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a democrat

Mobile, AL

I also voted for the oak. I can not think of a tree that has more "presence" than this one, and I'd like to think that we have a solid "presence" also.

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

I vote Joshua Tree! OOPs sorry. That isnt on the list . How about Redwood. Another great tree!

[ Removed by member request. - Admin ]

I just got this in my inbox:

"Dear Friend,

I'm happy to report that the people have selected the oak as their choice for America's National Tree in the nationwide vote hosted by The National Arbor Day Foundation on its Web site, arborday.org. From the first day of voting, oak was the popular choice of the American people. Another magnificent American tree, the redwood, was the second place finisher.

The National Arbor Day Foundation wishes to thank everyone who voted or encouraged others to take part in this historic process, which marked the first time that the entire American public has been able to state their pick for a national emblem.

Visit arborday.org for vote totals and comparisons of all the candidate trees."

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Removed by member request

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.