GH in summer?

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

How much do you use your GH in the summer?I assume I need shade cloth to do so,but is that for the plants or to save the film from the summers UV rays?Hubby is talking about leaving the gh till fall,but I'm not sure.....

Tyler, TX(Zone 8a)

On my GH I don't use it in the summer I think it gets too hot in there even with large fans

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

crestedchik: Up here I use the greenhouse in the summer to grow tomatoes and peppers. Our summers are too cool and short to grow them outdoors. I keep a fan going in the greenhouse, but often have to shut it off at night because it really cools off around here when the sun goes behind the mountains. Our temps seldom get above the 70's all summer.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

we have summers like that here!

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

CC, I had most of my plants out of my GH by the first week of June but they were mostly annuals and veggies that I planted last year. This year I've got the Brugs in there but will want to get them in the ground as soon as I can.
The plastic that came with my GH kit was too clear and didn't have the UV protection it should have and my seedlings were being burnt by the sun. This year we bought a better UV protection film and put it right over the old film.If I was to keep any plants in the GH all summer I would use a shade cloth to keep the GH cooler and protect the plants from the summer sun.Hope this helps.

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

CC: Shadecloth is to keep it cooler in the greenhouse. Also, to keep out some of the sun, as my plants were getting sunburned without the shadecloth. I only use my greenhouse in the spring to start seeds in. We would have to air condition the greenhouse to use in the summer. It can get well over a hundred degrees throughout the summer inside the GH.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Well, in summer months, the room is hot! and so I just keep a screen door open on the big door. Our fish are in there in the half oak barrel with a circulating pump and faring well so far! and when I come home from Britain, I'll look into purchasing two finches for a cage I have..I miss my pussycat(she's been gone now nine mos...) the grand-daughters get a kick out of the water garden!!! All the tropicals will be outdoors!!!! Elaine

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I mostly use mine for a potting shed in the summer - too hot for most things, besides I want them out where eveyone can see them!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

CC, you can get a white or aluminum colored shade cloth to cut down on the heat but allow light in. We saw them at the trade shows. One greenhouse I worked at years ago used white wash. It was sprayed on with a garden sprayer and in the fall, you just rubbed it with the flat side of a broom and it came off.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks guys,I think I'm gunna get the plastic on and see how warm it gets.I don't think I'll have much in there for the summer,but if I import the brugs I guess they would have to be in there.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Last summer was my first summer with mine-we had a riot camping,watching fireworks and growing plants-If i open all the windows it seems to be fine-I can stand the heat-heck I could live out there all summer!!!
Im hoping to fix all the leaks n cracks this summer n use it all winter next yr!
I luv my GH!!!!!!!and my mantis tiller!!! ;}

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

A green house in florida summer heat is probably not feasible! How about roll up sides to be raised in summer and could drop in cooler weather. An going to start on such a project after tearing out an old chicken coop. Any ideas? Pro or con? Have several different diagrams to choose from. Thanks for any imput! Could serve as a protected area for bedding plants in summer and a closed green house in cooler months!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I really don't have much in mine in the summer - I mainly use it as a potting shed - couldn't do without it winter or summer!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Whatta ya gunna do with the chickens????

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Aha! The poor chickens? Would you believe they all went by way of the BBQ, freezer and anyone who wanted the rest. Was a project gone bad. Bought 300 day olds (Rhode Island Reds) raised them to about 200 for eggs. Easter is only one day a year and there was no market for the eggs that made any sense. Shut the chicken fiasco down 2 years ago so now their apartment will serve a purpose! Good size greenhouse.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Poor babies...just no money in eggs...although ,we've been selling hatching eggs on eggbay.com.....good money in certian breeds.....I've heard some people say they raise their chicks in the GH right along with the plants....

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I have passion and other vines growing up the sides of the green house and my brugs have grown into the ground. I kept some brugs in the green house all summer last year and they did great. They didn't seem to mind the heat.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks everyone.I guess if I keep it vented it should be OK.I'm just worried Chuck will talk me into waiting to put the UV plastic on till fall.Our fall schedual is hectic to say the least.Shows almost every weekend fron mid August till November.I'm afraid it won't get done......Just like its not getting done now!Too many shows,to much other stuff going on...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.