dividing lillium

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Hello! Being a newbie, I need lots of help. Last year I planted several lillioum, bought from a garden center. They seem to be coming up now in clumps and I want to know if I can divide them now, and plant some in a new shade garde. I believe they are asiatic lilys.

Thanks,
Darius

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I think any summer-flowering bulb can be planted or divided and transplanted in the spring. It's only the spring-flowering bulbs, like daffodils and tulips that you need to wait until fall

woodspirit, thanks. I did indeed divide them right after your advice, and they are doing nicely now!

Chatham-Kent, ON(Zone 6a)

MY wife is the lilium expert and she tells me they should be divided in the Fall after the top growth has died down . You will find that spring division results in a smaller / weaker plant . My wife has over 130 types so far . Best to you !!

Thanks Chooch, I had planned to divide the rest in the fall anyway.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

ah well, maybe I learned something. Actually I'm surprised you want to divide them after the first year. I usually give them 3 years.

woodspirit... I'd guess they were overcrowded when I bought them, because when they started to come up this year, they were jumbled all over each other. Besides, I wanted some in more shade and was outta $$$ for new bulbs! At any rate, what I did divide look okay, and I may or not do the rest in the fall. My only experience with bulbs had been glads... in just one summer, a dozen became three dozen and a zillion bulblets...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.