Orchids in collanders for Weezingreen

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Carol... sorry been busy working on the yard all day.

as promised, here is the photo of the orchid in collanders.

Toshiba PDR-M61

Thumbnail by MaVieRose
Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

is this your yard?? Do you line them with moss??

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

found where you were talking about it. They look great! and if you wanted to, you could line them with moss and use for other plants too!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

yes tiG... much bigger on theother side. no i did not line them with moss. i use peat moss, orchid small bark , pumice rock instead of perlite, tomato food by osmocote. the typical orchid mix i always use.

i could not find any orchid pot in this isolated area. i happen to find the collanders in the 99 cents store. i bore holes along the rims of the collander to allow the rope to hang the orchids in. similar to the way we do back home, since orchids are terrestial plants.

the charcoal i use to filter the water. helps the orchids that way too.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I have a dendrobium that isn't really doing all that much inside, I might fix it up with a little home outside soon. I have a great silver colander that I might give up for it.

This message was edited Wednesday, Apr 10th 1:33 AM

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

no! do not use the silver collander, cause it will be hot during the summer months. the collander i got for 99 cents each at the 99 cents store is very sturdy, and it came with a small matching basin too.

edited to add more info

dendrobiums need lots of humidity. spray with weak 15-30-15 miracle grow solution. 1/4 tsp. to a quart of water. see how it will react... http://retirees.uwaterloo.ca/~jerry/orchids/cnotes/dend.html

u got mail tiG!

This message was edited Wednesday, Apr 10th 1:31 AM

This message was edited Wednesday, Apr 10th 1:38 AM

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

That is really nice photo also beautiful and healthy plants.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

thank you Debbie :)!

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

MaVie..that is a super container for orchids! Well I know huge cymbidiums would be too large for this! What orchids do ya think would do for these, please? Elaine

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

the one on the left is Vanda Noriko, the one on the right is Brassavola nodosa x B cordata. vanda is supposedly deep lavender in color, brassovola are small white flower that are awesomely fragrant. those are what i used to grow in the Philippines in days gone by :D.

out of necessity, it is the only viable container i could find around, since no one around this area heard of orchids pots.

in the Philippines, we use coconut husks to grow orchids in.
i used to have cymbidiums, not any more. if i could have some, i probably will try those Korean big basins, they use to make Kimchee in. i would use an electric drill to puncture holes. line them with styro foam peanuts to facilitate good draining, prior to adding the orchid 'soil'. am sure cymbidiums will happy in those big basin... plenty of room for them to increase and multiply.

those plastic containers at the 99 cents store are worth the price for planters!

at the rate the present economy fluctuates... we have to improvise the economical way. don't under estimate those colladers, they look very sturdy to me. {giggles}.. ma vie

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

This is a great idea! Could you take a photo of the knotted ropes so I could see how to tie the four ropes? Yours are so very neat! Thanks...I will look for the photo and maybe an explanation of how to tie them!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

DaleP6 ... i just inserted the cut end of the rope thru the hole [hole were made by using electric drill.] i knotted the ends 4 times to make a thicker end, so it will not pass thru the hole. nothing fancy. very simple.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

MaVieRose: Sorry I took so long to reply. My DH checked messages on the homepage, so I didn't see it right away. Thanks so much... they are great. How clever to imitate their natural habitat..up in the trees! You did a great job with the strings.. I always seem to get get one longer than the other.. you're really great with that electric drill of yours!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

as we age, seem like the normal functions of hands is no longer there, aid of electrical 'toys' do come in handy sometimes :)!

i use my common sense in a lot of project around here, since i no longer have those fancy garden tools i used to have. i wished i still have my macrame book... i used to make nice hanging macrames.

one of these days, i will go to the Los Angeles garment district, where i used to buy those fancy beads... who knows maybe i can find some macrame book. i tried looking online, but no luck.

the strings, i also got from the 99 cents store. they were supposed to be clothes line. they are made of poleyester material... which i think will be sturdy for the purpose i want them to be.

thank you, i do my best to fit my needs.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Ma Vie Rose,
I am pretty handy with my drill as well...I have arthritis so it certainly comes in handy...my neighbors tease me and call me Rosie the Riveter! How did you tie the four ropes at the top where you gather them together. Actuall in the photo it looks like only two ropes neatly bound into a loop I suppose.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I'll keep an eye out for a good macrame book in my summer garage sale stops, MaVieRose. I'll also check around for large beads. I know you'd put them to good use.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

DaleP6 ... i sort of braided one of the hanging pot, the other one, i just made a knot. i will take close up photo for u and send it thru email.

i am now taking a break for the first time since 7 a.m. pacific time. soon as i get cleaned up, i will try to take a shot for u. am bit from 10 hrs. of work outside.i am so tired but very happy cause i see my plant happy in their new and fresh pots! been a long day.

that is very sweet of U Carol :). i have not gone to the garment district of Los Angeles as yet. but will have to go soon. some of the woman customers we have on ebay has ask me to sell clothes on line. i think i will take a shot at it to test how it will work.

on the trip down to L.A., i will surely try to find some beads and other ornaments for macrame. keeping my fingers crossed that i find a book. i will probably shoot over to the wholesale floral shops to see what i can find. will keep u posted on what i find. Thanks Carol. :D!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.