Gerbera Daisy (Gerbera jamesonii )

Plymouth, PA(Zone 5b)

Are they annual outdoor plants? Also can you plant them in a container and keep them alive indoors in the winter. I live in ZOne 6
tamlamb

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Oops......must have hiccuped and don't know how to spell it either.

This message was edited Monday, Apr 8th 4:27 PM

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Tammy,

I bought one about six weeks ago and kept it on the kitchen table. It was beginning to look a little stressed, so I took it to the greenhouse and it has perked up and is starting to shoot some buds again. I have noticed that this plant will mildew some too, so watch for that. They don't seem to do well with just East window sunshine. I have tried to save seeds from them, but they rarely have viable seeds. I found two in one bloom a couple of years ago. Maybe this is why they are so expensive for an annual.
Good luck.

Plymouth, PA(Zone 5b)

The reason I ask is because someone sent me seeds from there's. Probably enough for 3 or 4 plants and I was wondering if I should start them indoors and then move them outside like the rest.
thanks Brugie
tammy

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'm not familiar with this plant when it comes to starting it from seed, but I'd get it going now. For some reason, it looks like a rather slow grower. Maybe that is because the blooms last so long. Sure can't hurt to get it going now. Have fun!!

S.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Give it plenty of light and it will be okay inside, although it truly needs to be outside. Even my greenporch on the southeast side of the house wasn't light enough for them. Moved to the border, just a few feet away but with no roof to block the light, they thrived. I did grow some under flourescent shop lights once.

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

You can grow these from seed, although it can take 2 years to bloom from seed. They are not hardy for us. However, you can bring them indoors for the winter.

I had 2 in the ground last year that have survived, but we had an extremely mild winter. Usually, I grow them in pots, leave the pots outside until winter, when I place them in a sunny window.

Hope this helps!

Trish

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Trish, I'm so glad I came back and read your reply. I have about 15 plants that I started from seed in February. They look great, but I probably would have thought I was doing something wrong when they didn't bloom. But know I know that it could take a year. Thanx for saving me some unecessary grief!
Cecelia

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.