Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Yippie! Suttons got their catalog up! Check it out!

http://www.suttoniris.com/

Oh, yes, the iris! I am one of their great fans. I have an iris story (of course!). Many years ago (that's how all good stories begin...) I was in South Dallas in the spring. Anyone who knows Dallas is aware that this is the black ghetto. My husband and I were lost trying to find an address and happened upon this yard full of iris in all their radiant spring beauty. I made him stop and let me get out and see those iris. (Dallas Arboretum has nothing on this place.) There was no lawn, just rows and rows of iris, interspersed with cannas and chrysanthemums. The house itself was barely larger than a garden storage shed built of cinder blocks. An old tiny frail white lady came out as I was walking to the door and began showing me all her iris. It was a wonder to behold. She sold them and I was trying to decide which ones I wanted. I only have one left now, the others were lost in too many moves. But I still have her sales list written in her little old lady style to remind me that no, that wasn't a dream. Think of it, her living alone in that area, obviously safe and very happy, and her greatest and most beautiful treasure was her garden. It was a sacred place. I haven't been able to find the iris types again. I will list them below in case anybody knows where I might find them. I always regretted that I didn't go back to see her cannas and chrysthemums in bloom. But I was a very busy young mother and life went too fast then. These are the varieties and prices: Edenite, 75 cents, Blue Sapphire (Kykes Medal), 75 c, Marsha Kay, 50 c, Pinacle, 65 c, Gay Paree, 50 c, El Paso, 50 c, Fire Tail, 65 c, Sable Night (Kykes Medal), 75 c, Desert Thistle, 65 c, Rococo, 75 c, Esta Fay, 75 c, Snow Goddess, 50 c (this is the one I still have), and Pacific Thunder, 50 c. I remember the Pacific Thunder...it was a smoky mid blue, the name fit it perfectly. I would love to have it again.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks for sharing such a nice story. Try this place for some of the older heirloom irises. I saw a couple you listed on there.

http://www.argyleacres.com/gallery/view_list_historic.asp?historic_z=yes

Too bad you couldn't find them @ those prices!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Lantana, what a great story! Thanks for passing it along...Lisa

Thanks. Argyle Acres is just down the road from me. I'm planning a trip the middle of this month. Looks like I better take lots of money.

I just posted a picture of the remaining iris I still have from then. It is on the plants database under bulbs and iris under Snow Goddess. She is beautiful and bold and quite pushy. But also awesome and elegant!

Toston, MT(Zone 4a)

Thanks Poppysue! I love argyleacres' prices! WOW!!
Heidi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.