who lives in a nest like this?

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

a friend found this nest while weeding in her garden weekend before last. do you know who lives in it? I'll bet all the dough in my hip pocket that Philomel knows so she can comment and not answer!! LOL ;-) I have only ever seen these nests two other times in all my years and the last time I was a teen. seeing this brought me back to the days when I knew where every nest was in the area.

Mark

Thumbnail by mark
Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

My 1st thought before looking at the photo (or thinking about distribution, lol) was that it was going to be the nest of a certain little four legged beast.
However, i think this is one i'm LONGING to find in my garden, but have never actually seen in situ. Is that right Mark?

100% correct. so you have never seen one and this is my 3rd in 30 years even though I see them all the time.
I have also seen Corncrake nests, chicks and adults.

Mark

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Yes, they regularly come through my garden, but the only nest i've seen was found by a friend in her hedge. She'd taken it out by then though.

I was planning to do extra days round the Belfast conf to try and see corncrakes - then realised it was the wrong time of year. I'd love to see those (or even just hear them!)

Hilary

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Okay, so what is it???

it belongs to a Long-tailed Tit a kind of Chickadee but belonging to a different family.

they gather around 2000 small feather to line the nest and cover the outside with Lichen and cobwebs for camoflage.

Mark

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

This is a wonder nest. How inventive of the little buggers! I'm glad tiG asked, since I hadn't! I imagine the long-tailed tit would find our home structures just as remarkable!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.