Caladium ?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

what is the lowest temps they can take outside? I started mine indoors to get a jump and they are getting big!! I'll keep them in pots for a while longer, but what night temps can they take?

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

tiG,
They are hardy to zone 8-10 so does this help you?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I know they can't take the frost, but do you wait to put them out when night time temps are above 55 because they need that to sprout? Mine are already putting out leaves and are in gallon pots.

tiG, I just read in "From Seed to Bloom", to put outdoors when temps do not go below 60 degrees. Hope this helps...vic

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

yikes, that will be a while!!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Oh my! I won't see temps that don't go below 60's until June. I haven't planted mine yet, and hoping they stay dormant for a bit yet.

Joan (who's running off to make sure mine are still dormant.)

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

don't panic Joan :D! as long as they are not on wet cold soil, they should be fine. but if u have already planted it, be sure to keep it indoors. if weather is cold and wet, they will turn into a mush inside the pot.

so long as they are dry and dormat u are ok. hope that ease ur mind.

actually, caladiums are treasured indoor houseplants even in the tropics. we keep them indoors for their lovely foliage colors... not a plant for outdoors.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

MaVie, if I keep the 30 or more of these in the house, my DH will absolutely kill me!! LOL! I love them and have a lot of shade that needs brighting up. I'm glad I started them early, so I'll have them out longer, but I'm just filling up the spaces I've cleared out!

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

tiG, I just planted mine a couple of days ago. You should be fine. Everything I've read says that the ground temp should be 60 degrees or above. Last year, I was so anxious, I put them in the ground in March. :) They came up beautifully. They just had to wait until the ground warmed up. Silly me.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

thanks Carla, I may plant the best beds and keep a few for backups just in case.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

WOW!!! didn't know u got that much :). this summer there should not be any problem. these weather we have these days are so crazy, it is so difficult to cope up. all my plants are getting confuse due to being in and out cause of the weather. am keeping my fingers cross, cause i have already planted the caladium in pots. i just keep the soil barely moist. hope they keep. they have not sprouted yet. am keeping my fingers crossed!

tiG,

Save some in case I get around to organizing that spring plant swap. :)

Knoxville, TN

Hey Tig ,,,,,don't worry just send them to me I will keep them warm.....hehhe lolol [[[nana]]]]]

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Carla, I sure will! I love them, and when I saw them all loose at Lowe's for 24 cents each, well... you know me! I actually thought I lost the first ones, and bought more :)

Kingston, GA(Zone 7b)

tiG--I put mine out today. I have always put my caladiums out during the month of April and they have always done fine. I would like to think that most of our cold cold spells are over now. I wish I had as many caladiums as you have---I bet you will have a lovely show when all those caladiums are planted. :)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

thanks CB, I hope so. I always go overboard, but we have have big yard. :)

tiG,

I planted mine last year around the base of a large tree and they looked great. I'm doing the same thing this year, but also want to put some in our wooded area. Currently, it has nandina, english ivy, a few spots of arum italicum, spots of liriope and an occasional hosta. I think the caladium would look good in that mix. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.