Delphs NOT coming back

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Why after having 6" Pac. Giants " last year, are only 2 of them coming back?

Thumbnail by mingsmimi
Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Mingsmimi: They are a short lived perennial. Disappearing after 3 to 5 yrs. Plant more for next year. Your photo is beautiful.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

But. that was their first year! ew! HUM.I have some seeds.. and I sorta thought that they would self seed. I will put in the seeds. thanks

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Let's put it this way, they are very unpredictable and with us being in zone 5, they are more unpredictable. I am surprised they bloomed for you the first year. They do not reseed themselves to well here, either. All you can do is try again. They are so pretty. My last delph. died a few years ago. I need to plant more, maybe this year.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Okay. thanks

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I envy those who can grow those beauties. I've actually had 4 come back this year out of a dozen or more!! Our summers are just too hot and humid for them.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I just think they are so pretty..Didn;t realize they were so picky!

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

CalaLily: That is so ironic, you have to worry about plants surviving your summers and we have to worry if plants will survive our winters.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I know, that's weird isn't it? My friend in Ohio grows the delphiniums and they are like huge bushes, bloom all summer and come back every spring. At least I can grow brugs in the ground!! and my abutilons come back, so I guess it evens out.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

well, I am up to 3 out of 6 that came back.....One just surfaced this morning.

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Good going. We gardeners tend to get a little impatient. I am glad they are coming back for you.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

this one was hiding in the candytuft. or should I say. the CT overwhelmed the delph! I had no idea that stuff spread as much as it does. Its so pretty!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Delphiniums like our mild climate up here, and the soil is cool and moist. I think they live longer here, since I have some that are well over three years old.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

what do they like to eat?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I haven't had much luck with them either. I have a small one coming back this year, but I doubt it will do much. I think I need to experiment with expsoure, soil and moisture. Most of the time, I've put them in thick clay. I need to try a more well drained and looser soil for a change.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I think delphies like rich well drained soil.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

There was a woman down the Road who had tons of them,just green with envy everytime I went by her house,gradually ,over the years they all died.so sad,cause they are gorgeous!I can get the blue to come back but never the pink......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.