Peonoies

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi all,
I've been reading over many threads to see if anyone might have any peony seeds for trade or postage? Plants are just out of my financial reach this year but would love to find seeds. Any peony fans out there?......Guess I should have checked my spelling a little better...ooppps

This message was edited Thursday, Mar 29th 10:26 AM

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi, SDoglover1512!

Assuming my dogs don't completely destroy the two large peony bushes that are just now sending up new growth, I should have some flowers (and hence seeds) this spring. We moved into this house last year after the peonies flowered, so I can't tell you what color they are until then. And I've never started them from seed, so I don't know how successful that might be.

Does anyone know if you can you propagate peonies by cuttings? I've never seeen/heard of anyone doing that, but I'd be glad to share some cuttings, if someone can tell me if it's possible, and when to take them.

And I will probably be digging them up and moving them this fall (after I see what color they are.) As big as they are I'll probably divide them, so I may have some small divisions at that time.

So, if you want seeds, cuttings or divisions, let me know and we can touch base at the appropriate time for whichever method you want to try!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I have someplants that I will be able to dig soon-what do you have to trade? Your not that far away-there will be a plant trade in alger in may.

dori

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi GV and Dori,
AS for your dogs digging..I have 7 dogs. I built a dog pit years ago, and just did again when I moved in Sept. Find and obscure , perhaps a corner in your yard and construct a 3 sided 4x4(depending on size of dogs-mine is bigger-I have Labs)walled area. Walls should be 1-1 1/2 ft high with ground low. Put a mix of sand and dirt in it. Take your dogs there and bury(shallow) some of their favorite toys and rawhides. Dig them up with them and reward them. Obviously by repeatedly showing them this spot and discouraging them from digging elsewhere they will get the message. I have a digging pit for years for my dogs and find that the small sacrifice of space is well worth it.
I do not know how to start cuttings from peonies. I moved into my new home last Sept. and planned on transplanting alot of my plants this year because my ex-boyfriend still had the old house. Unfortunately he died in a hit and run 2 weeks before Xmas and his mother sold the house. Now I am SOL for getting any of my plants(peonies and others).This year I am basicly starting over with an empty yard except for a few pre-existing rose bushes and a ton of Old English Ivy. The only things I transplanted last year were my 3 favorite roses :John Kennedy, Queen Elizabeth, and Mr. Lincoln.I will be rooting some cuttings from them in the fall, and I have ordered alot of things to start this year.
Guess what I'm saying is that I really can't offer things until fall,except for glad bulbs because I ordered way too many.Mostly, I am starting from seed this year.

Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom

SDoglover, what other plant seeds are you after? I have a few left over that I wont get round to sowing this spring, a mixture of annuals and perennials.

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi daisy_chain,
Considering that I am starting from scratch, I'm afraid my wants are great. I was only able to order a fraction of what I want to put in. You know how expensive it can get. I'm looking for are delphinium, pansies, impatiens,columbine, any hosta, zinnias, morning glory vine,spearmint, applemint, and peppermint. Several people are sending me seeds and cuttings for postage and then there are those that I will be sending things back to in the fall. What are you interested in? I can really use just about anything, but I am partial to perrenials, and hardy is a plus as I live in Mich. by Lake Huron.
Sandy
Email me if you like

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

SDoglover,
I know it's far off, but keep an eye out at Home Depot in the Fall season (if you have them up there). In October, I picked up peonies for $1.99 a pot at a Home Depot! The pots were broken and many leaves were brown and mangled, however, the bargain was enough for me to try my luck with them.
Trish

Sedalia, MO(Zone 6a)

home depot has decent sized peony roots for $1.87 this spring. they offered about 3 different ones.

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks GC and Trish...I'm headed to home depot tomorrow and I'll be looking extra hard.
Dori..nice idea, but I can't get to Alger,,got a real bad back and can't ride in a car for long at all. As far as a trade goes, no can do until fall. Hopefully we can get something together then..
Sandy

I saw those Peony roots they have. The HD in Knoxville has a very generous selection of all kinds of bare-root perennials for this price.

I bought Trish a bag of Hostas. They also have cannas, daylilies, and a veritable plethora of dahlias to choose from.

also - in their greenhouse area, they are now selling Lenten Rose in #1 containers. I couldn't find a price, because they had just come in and were still on a pallet and in bags.

Dave

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks all

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

If you can get roots/divisions you'd be much better off than seed. Starting peony from seed will take about 5 years to get blooms. The seeds don't usually even sprout for over a year. I started about 20 seeds last fall, so far just one has sprouted and I'm not really holding my breath for the others. I have a few peony's I dug up from my parents house a few years ago so I'm not in any hurry to get blooms from the seeds. I can't help with peonies but could probably send a nice box for postage later on. Give me an e-mail if interested.

Jody

Valparaiso, IN

Yup, root divisions are the only way to go. If you can get some in the fall for cheap...it is worth doing it. If you want to buy them in the spring you can, because the nurseries pot them up. Peonies have woody roots and you have to chop them with an axe to divide them. The best plants have 3-5 eyes (bud like things on the top of the plant). Be sure to plant the eyes only 1- 1 1/2" deep or you will get only leaves and no flowers. If you divide or move an existing plant, the plants may sulk for awhile before they decide to forgive you and flower again. Peonies are the one plant worth the money. Peonies will live for over a hundred years and be around for your grandchildren's children. Ditto tree peonies, but that is a real expensive hobby! LOL

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I have one white tree peony I bought for half off 2 seasons ago-$8.00 and I moved it last year to my big garden-beautiful...I ordered 2 for $18.00 from vandycks-should be arriving soon-I cant wait.

as for the plant trade in alger-you dont need plants to trade-I took my gf last year-she had nothing to trade-she ended up with as much as I had at the end of the day. gardeners are very generous. Im in bay city and if you can make it here ever-I have lots!

good luck growing this season- EVERYONE!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.