FOR ALL WHO HAVE LOST A FRIEND

(Zone 5a)

After authorizing euthanasia for Bittles the vet notice my reaction and was concernd about my state of mind gave us two books. After reading them I thought I would pass the information on to anyone here who going through or will be going through the same thing.

Good-bye My Friend: Grieving the Loss of a Pet by
Mary and Herb Montgomery

A Special Place For Charlee: A Child's Companion Through Pet Loss by Debby Moreheard

These are just a few ways of dealing with the lost of your loved one. There is also The Pet Loss Support Hotline, you can reach them at (614) 292-1823 it is a part of Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, you might wantto see if they offer this program in your local area.
They give you a lot of information to help the healing process, questions and emotions to explore, suggestions for self-care,reactions to a loss, suggested reading materials and things especially for children.

They offer a suggestions on the following books for children,

Lifetimes
B. Mellonie &R.Ingpen, Bantam Books 1983

"Oh, Where Has My Pet Gone?"
Sally Sibbett, B. Libby Press 1991

Oet Loss: A thoughtful Guide For Adults and Children
H.A. Nieburg & A. Fisher, Harper & Row, 1982(out of print check with your library)

The Tenth Good Thing About Barney
Judith Viorst,Aladdin Books,1975

There are more but I thought I would try and share just some of them so that if you have a child that is hurting maybe you might want to look in to some of these books or just check you local library and see if there is something else there for your family.

This message was edited Thursday, Mar 28th 2:04 PM

This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!