An odd experience!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I was out looking at some shrubs in one of my pathways, And I felt a 'strong' breeze at the back of my head and heard a wooshing sound, It was so strong that it actually made me blink! And when I looked forward, A hawk was flying RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!! He headed straight forward and I heard a bird sound out in distress, But, I know he didn't get the bird, He flew straight at some tree's and then turned right around and flew back in the opposite direction.
I don't know if he mistaked how close he was to me or mistaked the back of my head for a bird ( And then realized it wasn't at the last moment) or what, But Boy oh Boy!! It was close!! What a beautifull hawk it was!! I think it was a red -tail, But not sure because I was so focused on it's beautifull color and the size of it and didn't really notice the tail color at all, But, It was an amazing experience that I'll never forget!!!! I was totally shocked that it did that!

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

What an experience! Many birds will dive bomb humans if they feel their nest or chicks are threatened, but this sounds as if the hawk was just hunting. Scarey thought that it might have been hunting YOU, although you probably were just in its way. Must have been lovely to get such a close view.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Oh , I know some birds will dive bomb you if they feel there chicks are threatened, There are some birdhouses that I have that I try to stay clear of at certain times of the year! LOL! ( Especially the "Tree Swallow" nest's) The other thing I was thinking is that I'm realitivly sure there is a 'hawks nest' up on the back part of our property, And I was thinking maybe one of the fledgelings flew to the front tree's where I was and the parent hawk felt I was a threat and swooped at me ~ I guess I'll never really know though, But, I know I'll never forget it! I'm so glad I felt the wind from it at the back of my head and Not The Talons !! LOL!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Iris, I bet that was a bit scarey!! We have a pair of red shouldered hawks that come back every year to nest about a hundred yards from the back patio. When they are mating in the spring, they swoop and dive and are great to watch. When they have hatchlings/fledglings they scream at everything that moves in the yard, including me!! I think they are beautiful and are good rodent control.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Calalilly, IT WAS SCARRY!! LOL!!
It must be really neat to have those Hawks nest each year that close to your patio!!
They 'are' really great to watch!! We have some that are always around, But, Don't know for sure where the nest is. They make good rodent control, But sadly, They also like to pick the birds off at the feeders! It's part of nature tho I guess.

(Zone 5a)

We watch them here but they never come that close, thank God.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

We have a big barred owl(actually a pair, but never seen them together, just heard them) that loves to perch on the telephone line and watch the bird feeder. When I try to shoo him off, he just peeks at me with one eye and then ignores me.
I do love the birds, but like you, prefer that they stay away from my head!!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Windsurffer, I love to see them up close, But, Not close enough for contact!!! LOL!

> Calalilly, That's awsome!! ( Barred olws are one of my favorite owls to see! ) If you get a chance to take a pic, I'd love to see it!! ) Do you have any 'owl boxes' up ?
I have been dive-bomed by Blue-Jays and tree-swallows when I've gone to close to there nest ~ And that's a bit scarry, But, the hawk was a bit 'shocking' to say the least!

LOL,know how ya feel Iris' I don't go out without my big straw hat anymore just for this reason,you were very lucky lady' Sis'

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I think I'll make sure my straw hat is on from now on! LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.