SOLVED: Looks like Datura

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I got these seeds in a trade. They were black and looked like tiny beans. They were labeled "brugmansia Suaveolens". They are about 8" high and have buds!! Can't be a brug and bloom this soon. I swear they look like Jimpson Weed!! I will have to take a pic and try to download it. Friend has my camera now.
Calalily

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Removed by member request

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Datura seeds are flat & white - look like tomato seeds. I have never seen a Brug seed but hear they are tiny - I'd love to have some. What color are they supposed to be? I have a yellow Brug and have looked them over pretty well, have never found a seed.

The leaves on a Datura are pointed, the Brug leaves are sort of scalloped, at least this is the way mine look.

The seeds didn't look like datura seed. The leaves are dark green and toothed. the buds point up.
Brugmansia have to be hand polinated. These actually looked like brugmansia seed, the plants don't though.
I will try to remember to get my camera from my friend's house.

[ Removed by member request. - Admin ]

I have identified it!! It is datura stramonium. Thanks everyone.
Calalily

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

Re Dave's post on brugmansia seed pods/Karma's reply---all datura seed pods I've ever seen were spiny. What did the parent plant look like? Have any seedlings germinated/flowered?

Judith
I'm sooooo disappointed, it's jsut Jimpson Weed! It had purple flowers and made spiney seed pods. I threw it in the garbage, since these are bad weeds here.
Calalily

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.