Clearance Orchid

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I got this at wally-world marked down to $9. Of course it's not in very good shape - but it still had a couple of flowers on it. It's tagged only as a phalaenopsis. Does anyone have a guess what the name might be? It looks just like one called Lipperose in my AHS book. Is that a common one that wal-mart might carry?

In the pic the veins of the flower seem to show up more. It's in a 7" clay pot with spagnum moss. Should I repot it or just let it be for now?

Thumbnail by poppysue
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

That so great price it cost me over 20 dollars for one pot that's expensive. Beautiful~

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Good deal Sue,its gorgeous!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

http://www.cedar-lodge.co.uk/ photo gallery 1 has something similar to ur orchid

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

Poppysue,

If the roots are in good shape i.e they are not rotting, you can leave it be for now. When it is finished blooming and the weather warms up, you can repot. Or if you see new roots starting to form around the base of the plant, you may want to repot.

I DON'T recommend repotting in Spaghnum moss, unless you are a chronic under-waterer. These plants like to be consistently moist, but i find Spaghnum stays TOO wet for my liking. Many people pot in fir bar, which I find breaks down into a slimy mess within a year due to the frequency that phals need to be watered. I personally like osmunda fiber for my phals, as it drains quickly but stays damp for a couple of days, and does not deteriorate as quickly. You can get osmunda at Mellingers. www.mellingers.com

Good luck! It's a beautiful phal you have there!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.