Shade cloth?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I know it's still early, but I'm thinking ahead to the scorching summer heat, and considering how to best protect my UV film this summer.

Anybody have recommendations on shade cloth (as in yes it's worth it or not it's not?) If it is a "should-do", can I drape it OVER the plastic to protect it, or do I take down the plastic (which then makes me wonder, why bother, unless I'm still using the GH during the summer months?)

If you put it on over the plastic, doesn't it get hot? I'm thinking that black cloth is going to absorb a lot of heat. Do they make a white or reflective cloth?

Mason, MI

Hi Terry,
Try BFG Co. for shade cloth,
or Charlie's Greenhouse Supply sells it too,
maybe?
We're getting some this Spring
as our GH really cooks during the summer!
BFG Co. has different "shade ratio" amounts:
30%-63% shade, etc.
I've seen it (shade cloth) used both on the outside
(locally at one GH set up) and on a section
(of the inside) at another GH in our area.
'Hope that your GH continues
to grow and prosper! :-)

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Terry
We use ours on the outside, which is easier. The ones used inside need a special frame. It definitely is worth it for extending the life of the plastic. They have a new aluminum colored one that lets in light but cuts the heat. I wouldn't get more than 50% shade.

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Terry: Our shade cloth is about 13 years old and still going strong. So, they last a long time. We got ours from Park's Seed. They even told us what percentage to get for our Zone 5. The percentage they reccomended for us was 52. They work great. I highly reccomend using them.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Glad to hear about the "aluminum" colored ones....I always thought black absorbed and held heat and wondered why they didn't make shadecloth that would reflect the sun/heat. (Do you have a source for that Cala?)
My black shadecloth doesn't drop the temp as low as I'd like, even with two 30" fans exhausting and 5 30" louvers at the opposite end. (Then again, it averages around 80-85 in the summer here (outside) (over 100 in side)... wonder if I should expect anything to cool the greenhouse unless I build or buy a swamp cooler.)

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Shoe, I used to have a sample card here, will see if I can find it. Do you go to the trade show in SC in June? The company was there. They have several different colors, even a white one I think.
When I worked for another greenhouse(before I got my own) they would spray whitewash on the outsides of the green house to cool them down in the summer.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks Cala.
DO I go to the trade show in June? Hah! I haven't been anywhere in almost 9 yrs. But now that you mention it...sounds like a bizness trip to me!!!
I've heard where people white-wash their g-houses but always thought they were using it on glass, not plastic. (Didn't know if painting g-house plastic would cause it to deteriorate faster.)
I'll do some checking around on the net and see what I can locate. Will post what I find.
Many thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.