Swapping Seedlings?

Just wondered, with everyone talking about their seeds beginning to sprout now, whether it might be a good idea to swap a teaspoonful of baby seedlings with one another? We're generally not like our US friends, with 500 of this and 200 of that, so there's often more seeds come up than we want to use ourselves. Or self-sown seedlings that are now beginning to show themselves. Watcha think? What have you got too many of?

Think I have rather too many Papaver anomalum v. album, for a start.

Trying to have at least one post about gardening in all this chit-chat.

Seedlings are a bit fragile for travel arent they, some i cant move from one room to another without them flopping, and we would have to rely on the Royal mail to deliver them in good time, i dont hold much for there chances, seeds would be a better idea, unless you know how we could get them across alive ?.

Alan, you are a pessimist! Where's your sense of adventure?

You give me a hint how, i will go for it ?.

Alan.

Camden, NJ

Try buying a box of non flavored gelatin. Put a good inch or so in a sealable container. Let it setup at room temperature then use a pencil to make the hole for seedling.
Mist thoroughly and seal container. Post it immediately seedling should last a week or better in transit

Hi all - seedlings everywhere in my garden, broccoli has just mad an appearance yesterday and the GREEN is wonderful !

As you say Mary, we don't seem to have the numbers that our colonial cousins have, swapping sounds great as a concept but I'm not sure yet if I'll have any spare, most of mine's food anyway this year since I dug up the garden to use it as a veggie plot since I can't afford the plans I have for a more complicated Medittaranean garden (yet).

Good to be back

Jo

I've done some more pricking out, and I have seedlings of these which are surplus to requirements:

Aubrieta MJC 1537
Papaver anomalum v. album
Salvia farinacea
Salvia nemorosa

Also have spare Achimenes tubers (pink) and Vallota speciosa baby bulbs.

Anyone want them?

Macclesfield, CHESHIRE(Zone 8a)

Swapping seedlings sounds good to me; at least doing it just in UK means they wont be in transit too long. I got some seedlings from the US last year - took over a week by Air Mail and I lost some of them (cold, altitude;I dunno).
I have some sub-tropical stuff I might have an excess of. I'll post it up soon as I got my page working.

eltel

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.